We got our chicks on Feb 26...

csaws

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 5, 2009
Indiana
is it too early to put them in the coop with the older birds? They are fully feathered, one of our little bantams that we thought was a hen is a roo and is showing he can "attempt" to crow funny little squeaks and all. If we put them in the coop are they ok to just eat the layer food the big chickens get?

Last edited:
I'd seperate them in the coop to avoid disaster. I dont think they will die eating the layer food but it is layer not baby formula! I have an interesting experiment going on right now. I have a broody with 26 day olds that have been raised in the coop with the other birds. All the Aunties and Dad have been good to the chicks but Mom is there. I just got 12 maran chicks on Good Friday that are in a brooder on the porch. When the temp is good outside and they are a little steadier on their feet, I will put them in a outside pen right next to everyone else and see how that interaction goes. Maybe the broody Buff OP will go gaga over more babies or maybe the BR who is pretending to be broody, might take them under her wing. I'll let you know! But that is my 2cents anyhow

Back
Top Bottom