We got our first egg!

Benny8

Hatching
Apr 2, 2015
We got our pullets in March. We raised them in our bathroom for a month and a half. We got some meat birds. My daughter wanted to raise the chickens. She has done a great job. We butchered our meat birds and have been waiting for the girls to start laying. She went out to move the tractor tonight and found her first egg. Should we be feeding them a different diet now? Oyster shells?

Congratulations on that first egg! Most people will have oyster shell available on the side for the hens no matter what they are feeding...the birds that need it will eat it, and the others will leave it alone.... If you are going to have a mixed flock (especially birds of different ages, plan to add younger birds or let broodies hatch chicks, keep roosters etc etc) it is probably easiest to feed them all something like Flock Raiser / an All Ages food... if you will just have the laying hens it may be easiest to just feed them Layer food.

Congratulations on the first egg I got my first egg about 2 weeks ago I'm going to leave mine on the grower since I got 5 more chicks last week and just offer oyster shells on the side

Back
Top Bottom