We got our first turkeys!!!!! woo hooo

the4heathernsmom

Songster
11 Years
Jul 1, 2008
east texas
So excited!!!! Thought I would share.......went to Atwoods to get chicken starter and of course they had the bins out FULL of baby birds....had to look....pocketbook screamed NOOOOOO but couldn't resist!!! On a whim I bought 5.....they were on SALE how could I not? They were BBB oh turkeys with color!!!!! Then I get home and start reading last night and realize that they cannot reproduce and are heavy like cornish chickens...oh well kinda bummed there but that's ok we will have fun raising them. I really really really want a tom and two hens of the N turkeys...nagaransett sp? oh I am so bad anyhow the colorful ones that will reproduce!!! They are so weird as chicks....I know one is a tom.....guess what it did? They barely have feathers but the little thing puffed up and strutted !!!!!! It was the cutest thing ever!!!! I want to get a pic of it doing it! They move slow and cautious and don't seem as skittish as the brooder chicks. Anyhow I just thought it was really neat. Who knew Atwoods carried TURKEYS????!!!!! lol lol My hubby is threatening to ban me from Atwoods!

Me and my dad are planning on getting some turkeys this spring! We are gonna go the "hatchery route" and order some Black Spanish, Bourbon Reds, and Blue Slates from Cackle Hatchery! You should check them out, they have 5 "heritage breeds" that'll breed naturally..... Oh watch your BBB's too, they grow fast and may develop some leg problems.....

Last edited:
what are BBB and why cant they reproduce???

grats on the turkeys, i love them,so cute, we always get the midget whites from out feed store

BBB is Broad Breasted Bronze. The males get too big to be able to breed.

Congrats on the new babies!Just so you know, they are addictive!

Edited because I can't spell!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom