We have a serial killer

PonderingKiwi

Chirping
Mar 19, 2023
I can’t imagine there’s anything to be done about it, but I thought I’d share some silly (terrifying) chicken behavior (modus operandi)..

We have a serial killer amongst us here at the hobby farm. It started with finding a little bird dead on the back porch.. not eaten. Just dead. I thought it was strange since birds don’t typically just.. die.. on your back porch, but it wasn’t anything I thought about twice. Until we found another victim in the goose pool.. this was even more strange to me cuz.. since when do birds drown? I took a mental note of this just in case we had a chicken casualty too. Shortly after finding the second body I caught (to my horror) her in the act. I was feeding everyone and the sparrows showed up (they always do for breakfast). Everyone’s enjoying snackies until suddenly the little birds all take off at Mach 10. I looked up to see a hen hauling absolute chicken butt across the yard after them. She was jumping in the air trying to catch one! I immediately knew she was our killer.

After that incident, we’ve witnessed her charging the fence to scare away cats.. leaping after sky birds.. chasing sky birds around the yard.. my husband even witnessed her divebomb an unsuspecting sparrow from atop a pile of fence slats! She’s unhinged! And to top it all off.. she’s our smallest hen. Just a little ole Easter Egger with the rage of a thousand suns burning within her.

I present to you…. Mocha.

Attachments

• IMG_3447.jpeg
    IMG_3447.jpeg
    947.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3452.jpeg
    IMG_3452.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
I can’t imagine there’s anything to be done about it, but I thought I’d share some silly (terrifying) chicken behavior (modus operandi)..

We have a serial killer amongst us here at the hobby farm. It started with finding a little bird dead on the back porch.. not eaten. Just dead. I thought it was strange since birds don’t typically just.. die.. on your back porch, but it wasn’t anything I thought about twice. Until we found another victim in the goose pool.. this was even more strange to me cuz.. since when do birds drown? I took a mental note of this just in case we had a chicken casualty too. Shortly after finding the second body I caught (to my horror) her in the act. I was feeding everyone and the sparrows showed up (they always do for breakfast). Everyone’s enjoying snackies until suddenly the little birds all take off at Mach 10. I looked up to see a hen hauling absolute chicken butt across the yard after them. She was jumping in the air trying to catch one! I immediately knew she was our killer.

After that incident, we’ve witnessed her charging the fence to scare away cats.. leaping after sky birds.. chasing sky birds around the yard.. my husband even witnessed her divebomb an unsuspecting sparrow from atop a pile of fence slats! She’s unhinged! And to top it all off.. she’s our smallest hen. Just a little ole Easter Egger with the rage of a thousand suns burning within her.

I present to you…. Mocha.
Wow she’s got some personality! Welcome to BYC!!!

Sounds like a good chicken to have around. Sparrows here do just drop dead, and often drown in the water buckets here. Chickens are omnivorous, so eating a little bird is always on the menu.
Chickens are terrifying! My husband went hunting and tossed a deer ribcage in the yard for them to pick at.. they cleaned one side of the spine nearly entirely. Little velociraptors. He also likes to throw them mice he catches in the traps.. we don’t use poison for chicken reasons so there’s periodically an abundance of mice living in our mud room.

Such fun little creatures (the chickens.. mice are adorable, but not welcome)

Back
Top Bottom