We have our very first egg

mummyof4

Chirping
Mar 16, 2016
We got our very first chicken egg this morning, my 4 year old was buzzing. She’s been waiting for an egg since we first got our chicks & would ask every morning if there was any eggs yet.
The hen was one of our smaller ones so didn’t expect her to be 1st.
She wasn’t impressed when we took the egg & took quite a lot of encouragement to come out the coop after the egg was gone. Is this normal? My 7 year old is insisting we give the egg back :lau

Congrats on getting that 1st egg! Are you going to cook it up for the 4yo's breakfast? :D

New layers can be a bit funny when they start in with laying eggs. Most of mine seemed to have no idea what was going on and would just drop them where ever they happened to be standing.

Congrats on getting that 1st egg! Are you going to cook it up for the 4yo's breakfast? :D

New layers can be a bit funny when they start in with laying eggs. Most of mine seemed to have no idea what was going on and would just drop them where ever they happened to be standing.
She used the egg box to lay :) sadly my 4yo had already had her breakfast so she’s saving it for lunch. Now the ‘have we got an egg yet?’ Is over its time for ‘is it lunch time yet?’

Nice! It takes them a bit to get used to laying, and some really enjoy just chillin' in the nest box after laying an egg - a couple of ours would stay in the nest box for 1-2 hours after laying at first (no, not broody). And some are just efficient layers - they go to the nest box, sit and then lay in short order, hop up and out to go about their business.

Enjoy all the fresh eggs!

Back
Top Bottom