We made the front page....and I need help

You could raise a polar bear in the house and that is what they would be used to - but it does'nt make it right.

I am no expert on animals, but I have heard that you can house train a rabbit. Thats a good start. But then they chew everything and anything... and thats not appropriate for a house animal.

Pigs? Wish I could have one. Town says I cant. And it probably makes sense, so I'll have to wait. My town said OK to chickens. I have 5 in a nice coop in my backyard. They are really cool... I dig them. But they are constantly pooing. How often would you change that diaper? 5 times an hour, every hour? Their roost box can get messy quick - that means you would probably need to wake up several times a night to change their diaper, becuase you dont want them sitting in poo right?

And I have noticed that my chickens spend the majority of the time scratching around in the dirt, chasing bugs, dust bathing, and taking naps in the dirt. Kinda hard to replicate in your house.

My dog on the other hand, likes to take naps in his bed, poo outside, does'nt chew anything in the house, and seems to be meant to be a companion animal for humans.

Appropriate pets for appropriate situations - thats my point. Sorry you got singled out, or feel you did, but maybe its for everyone's good.

I think the point here is, the town had no legal reason to deny their permit.

Also, I don't see how you or anyone else can decide for someone else what an "appropriate" pet would be. I don't think snakes or pigs are "appropriate" but if someone else wants them, more power to them.

You also say chickens aren't domesticated as much as dogs and parrots? HOGWASH! Parrots still live in the wild and are still plucked from the wild to be someone's pet. Chickens are very rarely found in the wild and those that are, don't survive long. They have been selectively bred to meet humans needs, not their own. That makes them domesticated!

I've been MIA for a few days Sonia. Where are the petitions? Can we/us BYC people sign them too? I am completely supportive of what you are trying to accomplish here, as you already know. What this city/town has down was downright dirty and it needs to be fixed.

beaconite chicks - Sonia has come here for support, not a lashing. How rude of you to jump into the middle of this post and act the way you are acting. If you don't like the idea of house chickens, then so be it. That's your opinion and your are most definitely entitled to it. Just like Sonia is entitled to her opinion. I cannot believe that you would actually take this to the level of writing a letter to the town in support of this measure. I say you need to take your issues elsewhere and move on. How rude.
hmm.png

I just read the article, but not the whole thread, and just wanted to add that these people do NOT know what they are talking about. WHY WHY WHY would they fear chickens and children mingling? They have some incorrect ideas about what constitutes keeping a few chickens. Man, let's re-educate people! Maybe you can organize a Coop Walk around your town and invite them along to see that chickens are much less annoying than dogs and other pets.

And beaconite, chill out! I agree with the post above -- and personally I find dogs who poop on yards, streets, and parks where people who walk disgusting and gross. Live and let live. Not everyone shares your opinion -- this is a diverse board.

Last edited:
The petitions are on paper only and in my town. Several local businesses are actively asking people to sign and the kids are doing a wonderful job. So far not ONE person has refused to sign. MANY people have questions so this has been a wonderful way to educate people. I'd love to set up an online petition if anyone knows how? Then I could print it out and take that as well.

hi beaconite...nope..i didnt feel singled out al all...
smile.png
..i was just metioning my pigs....to try to explain to you that...people can have all differant kinds of animals in a house..and as long as they are taken care of...whats the problem?..
hu.gif
..and um..yeah..lol..no....a polar bear is a bit differant..
hmm.png
...my pigs use a litter box..are cleaner than my dogs...and they NEVER mess in the house...bet you cant say that about your dog....lol..
bun.gif
..and they also go out every day..all day...to be pigs.........and ALSO..i think the MAIN thing here to question should be....how can this town say they fear that someone will BREAK INTO your house..and get your chicken?...
hu.gif
...um...shouldnt the point then be...they will go to JAIL??!....because they BROKE IN YOUR HOUSE!..geez!..i thought my town had some idiots running it...you win!!..

Whether its a chicken, rabbit, pig or dog is really of a none issue. What is wrong with the whole thing is the township and the health department from my understanding is that they have made an uninformed and uneducated decision and did not advise all of the parties involved about the meeting. If this is how the local governrment works then what other issues will be walked on? There are rules and laws to follow under proper procedure, that is what helps keep all individuals involved in a fair and unbias environment until all parties are heard from..

Back
Top Bottom