We were attacked... :(

I think that welded wire is a much better option for the apron. It's so much stiffer and heavier in general than the poultry wire or even hardware cloth. We used 1x2 welded. Seems like it would last much longer if it were buried even though I chose not to bury mine. Mine is pinned with lots of 12" landscaping spikes.

The 1" x 2" or even 2" x 4" welded wire in a 14 gauge or larger is equal to or heavier than what most live traps are made of, so it should be sufficient to repel all boarders. Unfortunately you found out the hard way that chicken wire / poultry wire is good for keeping chickens in but won't keep predators out. A determined varmint will blast right through it.

The apron should run up on the sides and extend out from the bottom at least 18 inches and 2 feet is better. Again the idea is they will probe the along the base of the wire, but never do figure out to back out from the fence and start their tunnel back there and go under the apron. They are smart, but apparently not that smart.

One might be tempted to use zip ties to secure the wire apron under the gate, but I'd use wire instead. Maybe wrap it double and space them about 6 inches or so. That is where they will come back to to test it. You don't want it to fail again. And make sure the gate is secure, with latches that can be locked / blocked to prevent them from flipping them up. A little piece of wire or similar is all it will take.

Hate to see you get started like this.

I do have it coming up the run about 18" high & running down into the ground about another 18" - 24"... the problem is the chicken wire was weakest at the door where the vermin got in.... I'm gonna zip tie it to the bottom of the cage every 3" & double it up by folding it in half. Hopefully that will work. I will completely finish the coop first.

Thank you everyone for the support... definitely sad. My wife & daughter were upset as well.

Something else to consider doing is digging a trench across the doorway and filling with concrete. You could even raise it a little bit (watch your step) so as to make the gap between door and the ground/earth beneath it too small to squeeze under and too hard to dig. It's not a bad spot to have a solid surface anyhow, being as it's a high traffic area and a mud hole could soon form there. Some people embed lengths of treated 4x6 or larger posts. You can always incorporate wire fence material with this in an apron-fashion..

Best wishes,
Ed

I do have it coming up the run about 18" high & running down into the ground about another 18" - 24"... the problem is the chicken wire was weakest at the door where the vermin got in.... I'm gonna zip tie it to the bottom of the cage every 3" & double it up by folding it in half. Hopefully that will work. I will completely finish the coop first.
It's not about how high it goes or how it's attached....chicken wire can be ripped/chewed apart by coons and canines.
Doubling it might help, but a heavier gauge wire is a much better option.

The gaps in chain link kennels, around doors and curved corners of panels, can also be entry areas.

I'm sorry for your loss. :( Just when we think we have Nature mastered... I hope your family feels better soon, my sympathy.

Back
Top Bottom