We won!

redriver

Songster
8 Years
Mar 6, 2011
Northern California
So, I live in the county seat of a rural area that does not currently allow chickens. Pretty much everywhere else in the county they are legal. I am working with a few friends to try to get our city to change the code to allow hens. Talked to the gals at city hall about it and they said to send a letter to the council with the proposed changes, rationale, etc. This is the first draft that we created from copying other cities' codes (Redding, CA and Davis, CA - primarily). Haven't seen many other cities that require permitting/licensing, but we thought to throw that in as an income incentive for the city, however minimal it might be. Plus, animal control would have a funding source to take care of any potential chicken complaints.

Let me know what you think, please.

Proposed changes to City of Yreka Municipal Code

Section 8.04 – General Provisions changed to allow for keeping of chickens.

Proposed text change (changes noted in bold type), Section 8.04.20:
(a) It is unlawful for any person to keep, stable, corral or otherwise maintain within the city limits any horse, mule, fowl, ***, sheep, goat, swine, cattle or ruminant, or any number of such animals, except as specifically permitted under provisions of this chapter; provided, however, the provisions of this section shall not be construed to prevent the working of any such animals or their use or display in a parade.

Proposed additional subsection.

Keeping of Chickens; Permits Required
It is unlawful for any person to keep, harbor or maintain any male chicken (rooster) over four months old within the city.

It is unlawful for any person to keep or maintain within the city, or permit to be kept or maintained upon land belonging to such person, any female chickens (hens) except as follows:

All hens more than four months old kept, harbored or maintained by their owners in the city shall be registered and permitted as herein provided.

A total of not more than six hens may be kept and maintained in a clean and sanitary pen or structure, no part of which shall be located less than thirty feet from any residence, other than a residence occupied by the person owning or in possession of such animals; and, provided further, that the keeping of such animals shall not create a health or nuisance problem.

Chickens shall be registered with and permits shall be issued by the city clerk or other designated agency, on payment of a permit fee established by resolution of the city council. Said fees shall be for each calendar year or a fraction thereof.

Last edited:
I'm not a great wordsmith, however, here is a page that I created/currently working on that addresses changing chicken ordinances. https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=64541-changing-local-chicken-law If you go to some of the websites listed they have example proposals etc. Hope that helps and GOOD LUCK!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Thanks! I just found out today that one of the council is pro-backyard chickens, so he's going to try to help get it passed. Meeting is going to be on April 7th. Wish me luck!
fl.gif

Since I've started this quest, I keep finding more and more people who have chickens in town. Apparently when our city was created way back when, we copied some other town's code and didn't do as much editing as we should have. The code banning poultry is one of them. Keep your fingers crossed that it goes smoothly!

Last edited:
Update!

Well, nothing was decided at the city council meeting tonight. Two councilmen were very positive about having chickens in the city limits. One councilman was against it, but that might be lack of knowledge about the subject, seeing as he hadn't read the material he was given. Not a single person spoke out against chickens. One person had questions that were answered, but no one else was opposed. The city attorney was worried about people building coops that were bigger than the 100sqft allowed by code. Since the proposed code only allows for six chickens, a coop bigger than 100sqft would be really overkill. But, because she was concerned she is going to come up with a legal recommendation to possibly bounce this over to the planning commission. Hopefully they will bounce it back and this will get passed without any major problems.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom