Weak chicken

Betsyg16

Chirping
May 16, 2020
I got 6 hens from a lady that raises chickens, to add to the flock. What a mistake. She said she was a hobby chicken farmer. The problem was she did not collect eggs or clean the coop. I collected more than 3 dozen out of nests that very dirty. So one of the hens I took is not well.
I checked her vent, checked her skin, for lice. She seems good for a day, then is weak again. She has not laid an egg since we got her, which is a week. I have separated her from the other hens to be safe, in case she has something contagious. Here are pictures of her

Attachments

• IMG_7953.jpeg
    IMG_7953.jpeg
    367 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7952.jpeg
    IMG_7952.jpeg
    372.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7951.jpeg
    IMG_7951.jpeg
    355.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7950.jpeg
    IMG_7950.jpeg
    536.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7949.jpeg
    IMG_7949.jpeg
    356.5 KB · Views: 11
Her posture is somewhat typical of birds with reproductive tract problems that plague high production birds.

Her posture is somewhat typical of birds with reproductive tract problems that plague high production birds.
Ok it just dawned on me after I took the pictures
That she has bumblefoot. Can the problem with reproductive tract be fixed. The feed or some vitamin to give her.

Ok it just dawned on me after I took the pictures
That she has bumblefoot. Can the problem with reproductive tract be fixed. The feed or some vitamin to give her.
Because you don't know what she's been eating or not eating, I'd have her on Poultry Cell or Nutra Drench every other day for two weeks or so to rebuild anything she's lost.

Do you need help with the bumblefoot or do you have that handled?

For the possible reproductive issues, I'll tag @Eggcessive who I just saw online, but can you advise as to what her poop looks like and if she is eating/drinking?

How does her crop feel? Check it again early in the morning before she eats or drinks, to see if it is emptying normally overnight. Any pictures of her poops may be helpful. Did you get the coop they were in or just find all of those eggs in her coop? Has she molted recently or been wormed? Has she laid eggs since you brought her home? What are you feeding? Is she eating or drinking? Clear pictures of the bottoms of her feet would be good, but you can see the swollen footpad already. I would probably worm her and give a 5 day treatment of Corid, just because of them being exposed to so many droppings.

I checked her crop it was empty and she is eating. I have not seen her poops but I will look. No I did not get the co
How does her crop feel? Check it again early in the morning before she eats or drinks, to see if it is emptying normally overnight. Any pictures of her poops may be helpful. Did you get the coop they were in or just find all of those eggs in her coop? Has she molted recently or been wormed? Has she laid eggs since you brought her home? What are you feeding? Is she eating or drinking? Clear pictures of the bottoms of her feet would be good, but you can see the swollen footpad already. I would probably worm her and give a 5 day treatment of Corid, just because of them being exposed to so many droppings.

Her crop was empty today around 10am. I don’t have pictures of her poops, will get some
No didn’t get that coop. Don’t know about her molting. No on the deworming. I will give Corid and deworm all of them

Valbazen or SafeGuard are good for worming. Valbazen dosage is 1/2 ml orally, and repeat it in 10 days. SafeGuard dosage is 1/4 ml per pound orally for 5 days. Or if you give the SafeGuard once and in 10 days, that will treat just roundworms, the most common worm.

Valbazen or SafeGuard are good for worming. Valbazen dosage is 1/2 ml orally, and repeat it in 10 days. SafeGuard dosage is 1/4 ml per pound orally for 5 days. Or if you give the SafeGuard once and in 10 days, that will treat just roundworms, the most common worm.
Ok thank you here a picture of her poops. It’s not very clear. My daughter took the picture
Should I treat all 23 chickens with the corid and worm medicine

Attachments

• 9fe38cdb-1fe5-4967-91b3-c5edc4e20b49.jpeg
    9fe38cdb-1fe5-4967-91b3-c5edc4e20b49.jpeg
    785.3 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom