Weak,unsteady, and trouble breathing.

TinyUrbanFlock

Chirping
5 Years
May 3, 2018
Hello all, I need some help. (Sorry this is long but it’s as much info as I can give)

I have a 21 week old Easter Egger who has become lame. I noticed her trying to hide a little bit more than usual one day this week, but assumed she just was avoiding the big girls who will often chase her. When I brought her in that night for some love and attention I noticed that she kept sliding off the couch where she usually sits. (It’s a leather couch with a towel on top so it can be sort of slippery), but when I looked closer she was favoring her left wing and was doing the slow gasp for air as she’d try to fall asleep. I thought maybe she had hurt her wing and broken a bone that was part of her respiratory system. Couldn’t feel anything out of place or broken. 4 days later now and all of her symptoms are the same. Won’t use left wing, weak and wobbly gate (like she doesn’t have the strength to stand up straight) and breathing difficulty.

Now...backstory. I got her as a 12 week old pullet from a farm/breeder down in south Jersey. They DO vaccinate for mareks, which gives me some peace of mind, but I also know that it’s only helpful in resistance to the disease not a 100% safeguard. I had her quarantined for the usual 4 weeks before introducing her to my flock and also wormed her because she had some sketchy poops. She is currently still bright eyed, curious, eating and drinking. I’ve been giving her electrolytes in her water and nutrition drench in case she has a vitamin deficiency. My question is what can I do/give her to rule out all other illnesses. Is Nutridrench or Poultry Cell enough? Do I need to give something stronger?

Any help would be great!! Thanks!

I would treat her with vitamins that contain riboflavin (pultry NutriDrench does not.) Human vitamin B complex tablets 1/4 tablet crushed daily onto some food is a good one. It does sound like she may have Mareks unfortunately. But I would treat her with vitamins and give her supportive care to see if she gets better, in case of a vitamin B2 deficiency. The only real way to know for sure what is going on or diagnose Mareks is to get a necropsy if she dies, and have the state vet test for Mareks. The body has to be kept cold, not frozen, and taken or shipped overnight M-F. Sorry that your chicken is sick. It is always good to try and rule out lead poisoning, botulism, and other possible illnesses. Here is a list of state vets and poultry labs with contact information:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

This is a good article ro learn about Mareks:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Back
Top Bottom