Weak yolks

BBQJOE

Songster
Sep 25, 2015
Void where prohibited.
For starters, the search engine here sucks dingo's kidneys.

I'm sure I'm not the only person here to ask why my egg yolks aren't very sturdy, but put "weak yolks" into the search, and you can find just about ANYTHING else, but.

Anyways, what do you birdheads got on yolks that break too easy?

Thanks,

Joe

For starters, the search engine here sucks dingo's kidneys.

I'm sure I'm not the only person here to ask why my egg yolks aren't very sturdy, but put "weak yolks" into the search, and you can find just about ANYTHING else, but.

Anyways, what do you birdheads got on yolks that break too easy?

Thanks,

Joe
Indeed it does, didn't think it could get worse than it was...but yeah.
Dingo Kidneys :lau

Anyway. Not sure why some yolks are weak, maybe just like some shells are weak.
Don't think it has to do with developing fertile eggs, tho could be older eggs,
but I've had fresh ones seem weak.
Are all your eggs weak yolked or just some?
Could just be one bird with a funky system.

Tried an advanced search with the 'search threads and posts' tab clicked,
and titles only checked on weak yolks.
Are those the same results you got?

Before I started collecting hatching eggs this spring, I put my flock on multi vitamins and glucosamine. Those vitamins made a huge difference in egg quality. Eggs were fine before the vitamins. But after being on the vitamins for a while, I noticed a huge improvement in the structure of the entire egg. The inner and outer membrane were very strong, as was the shell. I had to fight my way into the egg in order to crack it! The yolk membrane was also very strong, to the point where I had to push quite hard with the spatula to break the yolk when I was frying it.

This little experiment has convinced me of 2 things:

#1: All the hoopla about "calcium in the diet" is only part of the story. Birds need a COMPLETE diet in order to metabolize the calcium in the feed or OS.

#2: Prepared chicken feed is merely adequate. If you want superior eggs, you need to provide superior input.

Back
Top Bottom