Weapon suggestion

Quote:
My dad's neighbor shot a dog with a pellet gun because it was 'non lethal' and it killed the dog dead as a rock. So most of the time a pellet gun is non-lethal, although I believe determined critters may come back, depending on what they are after.

Get something chambered in .22 if your just looking for critter control. If your wondering which company to buy from, just about every companies pretty good unless your looking for improved accuracy but with a "critter control" gun I wouldn't worry about too much.

I want to thank everyone that has shared their opinions and experiences. It has been educational, even the "mine's better than yours" posts. I will be getting a BB/pellet 'training' rifle so I can get comfortable using a weapon. Perhaps I might even get accurate enough to shoot the dogs in the butt to drive them off, but that isn't my goal. Once I have enough confidence and money I will probably by the 410, I hope to find a shooting instructor that can help me find a weapon that fits me and will actually be a pleasure to use. That way I know I will practice and maintain my skills.

We have talked w/ the sheriff, animal control and even some dog owning neighbors. and it is up to us to solve the problem. In TX I can shoot the dog/dogs on my property if they are after the chickens, my neighbors have no recourse. I have only one close neighbor who shares a property line. They haven't been a problem, but I don't look forward to dealing w/ who ever buys their house. I am not concerned about these marauding dogs being some kids precious puppies. they are big dogs, labs, golden retrievers and other mixed breeds that start running loose shortly after sunrise when their owners let them out to run off their energy. The problem is during the day, generally in the morning, so the working dogs are on their property working, and the purse pooches aren't running loose in the hay pastures or oil fields that surround me. I didn't move out of town to put up w/ other folks neglected animals. If they are pets, they are cared for and kept under control (I guess kinda like kids should be) if not - oh well. Wild predators have not been an issue, I lose maybe 2 chickens a year to them because I have solid, secure coops and my birds are locked up before dark and let out once the sun is up. No predawn adventures and they are kept in their yards until nearly noon now before they are allowed to forage.

Now the next step is buying the weapon, my first adventures at pricing them was confusing, it looked like I have to buy the parts and assemble them for my perfect custom weapon.
tongue.gif
So next question is how to buy it, assembled, basically ready to go. Where to look, I know that the many pawn shops in town have lots of guns, but I don't feel wise enough to buy something used, even though after this last year, I suspect most of the guns will be serviceable and were sold because folks were simply out of money.

I have been thinking about the advice on security, a trigger lock on the weapon and storing it unloaded, up high in plain sight makes sense. If it is over the back door, the grandkids aren't snooping in the bedroom closet or messing w/ the gun hidden from me. Only have 2 GK locally and even they aren't running loose in the house.

So thanks again for the advice given.

Quote:
sounds like you're on to a solid plan, good job on sorting through all our sometimes cantancerous posting!
lol.png

I'm not going to be able to help on the BB gun issues, I've never had one... my mom objected to guns on principle so it was not an option growing up. (So naturally, I grew up to be a shooting instructor
big_smile.png
)
hopefully you'll be able to get some sound BB advice on here.

of course, you *could* order parts and assemble it... then you can say, "yep, it's my first gun and I built it MYSELF!"
lol.png

of course, you *could* order parts and assemble it... then you can say, "yep, it's my first gun and I built it MYSELF!"

You can't buy actual new "firearms" that way.

You can buy new or unfinished "parts', but the "firearm" itself is the "receiver" and has the serial number, and can only be bought in a face to face transaction with a licensed dealer.

You CAN buy a used gun from an individual, but they cannot ship it to you.​

Quote:
You can't buy actual new "firearms" that way.

You can buy new or unfinished "parts', but the "firearm" itself is the "receiver" and has the serial number, and can only be bought in a face to face transaction with a licensed dealer.

You CAN buy a used gun from an individual, but they cannot ship it to you.

ok, fine, if you want to get technical on me...
lol.png

really I was just referring to this:
Quote:
but I *did* build my first AR from a bag of parts... and a receiver.

since I've never had a BB gun I had no idea you treat them like, you know, a controlled substance...
roll.png

and anyway, lots of the rules are state-specific, the federal ones apply anywhere, but the states all have different rules. here in MO, I can buy a gun from anyone used, no big deal, just swap guns and money. in CA, it's got to go through a dealer even on private sale. and don't even get me started on waiting periods.
he.gif

living in MO =
wee.gif

Last edited:
ok, fine, if you want to get technical on me...
really I was just referring to this:

greenSearcher wrote:
Now the next step is buying the weapon, my first adventures at pricing them was confusing, it looked like I have to buy the parts and assemble them for my perfect custom weapon.

but I *did* build my first AR from a bag of parts... and a receiver.

Yes, I know you can "build" AR types.

I just wanted to make sure people realized you cannot simply order parts and build an entire firearm without some legal requirements

since I've never had a BB gun I had no idea you treat them like, you know, a controlled substance...

Some states won't even let you order those.

As you said, state laws vary a LOT​

Back
Top Bottom