WEASELS !!!Death and Destruction !!!!!! HELP !!!!!!!!

Henny Penny Mom

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 23, 2007
Any help please on experienced weasle hunters would be appreciated !

We have battled and fought these little &%&^$$%$$ and several times the clean out our coop and pigeons too ! No matter how we patch holes or try to secure it- they can sqeeze in...

they pierce a hole in the neck and suck out the blood jus terrible.. and the kill for the fun of it I swear. Our coop looked like Texas chain saw massacre !

Does anyone have any suggestions ? We would even consider having a dog stay in the coop !

Thanks- Henny Penny Mom

Weasle, mink, fischers.....HARD to get. I too had a problem , but with Mink. I put a baby monitor in the coop, and my gun by the door. When the mink finally came back for its dinner...the chickens allerted me...I ran out, cornered the little sucker, and blew it away. Now, this was at 4am..and it was cold....dark, and I was only about half awake! LOL
Im not sure your set up...but they will find a way to get in, and will come back untill every last chicken is gone. I sure hope you get those monsters. Good luck.

Other than folding/shaping hardware cloth to cover all weak points/seams, I wouldn't know. However, if you're on a fast connection, this fellow demonstrates (not polished, but good enough to improvise from) how to build weasel `boxes' that are simple and cheap (uses Big Victor Rat traps as the motive agent...)

Since a weasel can get through a hole that is 1x1 (someone said 1x 1/2") the only wire that is safe is hardware cloth. You have to make sure every single little teeny, tiny hole is securely covered.

If that's not an option I'm sorry I have no other ideas.

I really am sorry for this battle and your losses.

I'm so sorry. I think you need to break the cycle and rebuild. You may require coops within the coop, made of hardware wire no bigger than 1/2" mesh. You also need U-staples and baffle boards screwed to the frames. Once wolverines, weasels, fishers and mink get in, they will never stop until everything is dead. They also sleep during the day in coops with roofspace where they can be concealed, so it's possible for them not to break in night after night, but they will break OUT after everything is dead. Runs must be covered, floors need to be underwired, and like you said, every crack sealed. Anything the size of a hot dog is big enough for these creatures. Is it possible to board out any remaining birds so you can start over?

Back
Top Bottom