Weather

shani914

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 8, 2014
So here in Texas it has started to snow. I put my three chickens in a large cage (big enough) in my garage because the heating lamp in my coop isn't working. It is now around 34 degrees and I was thinking about putting them back in the coop. On Thursday it's supposed to go down to 25 degrees, though. Should I keep them in the garage until Friday or let them back into their coop?

I live 7 minutes north of downtown Boston, MA. Our weather and temps have been in the single digits up to 15 below and my girls
are doing great! They lay everyday too. I do however have them in a coop in the garage but they come outside and when their feet
get cold go back in.... They are just now 1yr olds and they've done just fine in this cold weather! Yours will be fine too!

They're wearing a down coat.
They'll be fine.
Ours were out today in -15 but sunny weather. Puffed up like weird footballs, but they're fine. Oh, and if one foot gets cold, they tuck it up for a bit like a flamingo....then switch feet. The sun must have felt really good, as they stayed out all day.
Silly birds!
Yours will be fine outdoors. They'll come in if they want to.

So here in Texas it has started to snow. I put my three chickens in a large cage (big enough) in my garage because the heating lamp in my coop isn't working. It is now around 34 degrees and I was thinking about putting them back in the coop. On Thursday it's supposed to go down to 25 degrees, though. Should I keep them in the garage until Friday or let them back into their coop?

25 aint nothing to a chicken.

I live 7 minutes north of downtown Boston, MA.  Our weather and temps have been in the single digits up to 15 below and my girls
are doing great!  They lay everyday too.  I do however have them in a coop in the garage but they come outside and when their feet
get cold go back in....  They are just now 1yr olds and they've done just fine in this cold weather!  Yours will be fine too!

They're wearing a down coat. 
They'll be fine.
Ours were out today in -15 but sunny weather.  Puffed up like weird footballs, but they're fine.  Oh, and if one foot gets cold, they tuck it up for a bit like a flamingo....then switch feet.  The sun must have felt really good, as they stayed out all day.
Silly birds!
Yours will be fine outdoors.  They'll come in if they want to. 
Thanks so much! I'll return them to their coop tomorrow morning.

They would be fine. They can go down to 10. When it is in December in Idaho, It was cold and sometime is -1 degree or 20 or 2. And my hen survive. So that would be ok.

I live in Tennessee and my chickens run around all day everyday regardless of temperature. They eat snow, chase stuff blowing in the wind and generally appear to be having a ball.

Unless you live where it regularly hits below -10 you really don't need to be concerned with temperature

Hiya! I am also in TX and so enjoying this crazy weather, sarcasm there! :p despite the super cold, wind chills in the 20s, snow, sleet, ice etc, of the day's previous and upcoming, my little flock has done fine! I did bring the 2 Momma's and the chicks in to my 'maternity ward', but the others have plenty of shelters and windblocks and have surprised me with how well they do cold weather! I picked a couple up and was pleasantly surprised at their warmth underneath, especially if they have just been all nestled together on a roost here by the house! I think it is amazing how they stay so toasty! :)

Back
Top Bottom