Weeds in my new run

TXKukupantsKoop

Songster
Mar 16, 2022
Central Texas
Husband and I are almost done with the coop/run. The run area is covered in various grasses and weeds and I have no clue what 90% of them are. My chicks haven't been out there yet but I'm concerned that some things may be poisonous. There are SO many "definitive" lists out there on what can be eaten and what can't and they vary. I guess I just want to know if chicks/chickens discern what they can't eat and just leave it alone. Thanks for any advice on advance! 😊

Husband and I are almost done with the coop/run. The run area is covered in various grasses and weeds and I have no clue what 90% of them are. My chicks haven't been out there yet but I'm concerned that some things may be poisonous. There are SO many "definitive" lists out there on what can be eaten and what can't and they vary. I guess I just want to know if chicks/chickens discern what they can't eat and just leave it alone. Thanks for any advice on advance! 😊
If you plan to let them free range at all, they will be exposed to the same things outside the run as well. You can’t keep them from everything. I personally wouldn’t worry about it.

Weeds are great! Chickens love them, your run will have none in a few weeks tops. I’ve never researched much about poisonous weeds, but my ladies eat EVERYTHING, and have never been sick. I’m no expert, but I’d say weeds are fine. Anything big, spiky etc, they won’t eat, simply because it won’t fit in their mouth 🤪. Really in poisoning for chickens, the only things to watch out for are chocolate, avocado seeds and pits, and uncooked beans.

Back
Top Bottom