week old baby chick dying?

So happy to hear the baby's doing better!
thumbsup.gif

My husband and I bought 15 just hatched chicks on Thursday. It is Sunday and all but 7 are dead and it looks like 2 more are fading fast. They are plenty warm as they r inside and under a lamp. Feeding them little bits of Purina chicken starter and water. Not sure what is going on. :-(

4 of my 6 chicks died.:( One is sick now! It's sad but it's natures way of taking the weak
. If we had all weak chickens it would be no good. They're in a better place! The strong will remain.

I lost one of my rhode island reds, Akane last night. she went downhill fast. I found her lying in the brooder with her neck twisted back, but still alive. She couldn;t walk so my husband and I dribbled vitamin solution into her mouth, but she just didn't improve. A few hours later, she died. :( Not sure if it was wry neck, an injury or an illness.

She's gone
1f61e.png
ok, I don't know where you are, what breed you have or the ages of your chicks. I do know to send you to tractor Supply or your feed store for a small bottle of Bovidr Labs Poultry Nutri-Drench or Goat Nutri-Drench. Using the poultry usage and dosage instructions, add it to the chicks water until it looks like very weak tea. If any of your chicks actually look like they are suffering, give them one drop only of the Drench.
Repeat the one drop as need every 8 to 10 hours as needed until they are perky.
This is a top flight nutritional supplement. All natural. Gives them energy and helps restore their immune systems. Does not need to be digested. Mainlines directly into the bloodstream. Measurable there in 10 minutes, 50% absorbed in 30 minutes and 99% utilization. . http://www.nutridrench.com I have been using it on my poultry and raising chicks on it for years. Great stuff.
Best,
Karen
I have never had a sick or dead chick when raising them with Nutri-Drench in their water for the 1st 2-3 weeks of life.

Last edited:
I am having the same troubles as many of you. I am checking for pasty butt every day and everybody seems fine and then I come home and one of the "stronger" ones is laying there dead! I ordered 30 chicks from a larger hatchery-they sent me 37-I now have 25 left-about 10 days old. Electrolyte supplements in water-room temp, in a large brooder box in the garage with a heat lamp raised higher-too high and chicks are huddling in corner. I usually find a dead one under the live ones when they scatter. we have been having 80-85 degree temps here. garage is open at least 3x a day for air. medium pine bedding so less small chips to peck at fresh water 2x a day... Purina medicated starter feed... I don't know what else to do! I got 15 bantam and 15 rare breed & polish/crested & it seems the larger one are now not fairing well??? I will chalk 4 up to pasty butt/inexperience but I just hatched 3 seramas less that the size of a quarter and they are doing great. the only thing I can think of is our water is softened but why would this not be affecting all my chicks? I change the littler at least 2x per week... Any help or advise would be appreciated. I did check the dead chicks and none of them had pasty butt......

I am having the same troubles as many of you. I am checking for pasty butt every day and everybody seems fine and then I come home and one of the "stronger" ones is laying there dead! I ordered 30 chicks from a larger hatchery-they sent me 37-I now have 25 left-about 10 days old. Electrolyte supplements in water-room temp, in a large brooder box in the garage with a heat lamp raised higher-too high and chicks are huddling in corner. I usually find a dead one under the live ones when they scatter. we have been having 80-85 degree temps here. garage is open at least 3x a day for air. medium pine bedding so less small chips to peck at fresh water 2x a day... Purina medicated starter feed... I don't know what else to do! I got 15 bantam and 15 rare breed & polish/crested & it seems the larger one are now not fairing well??? I will chalk 4 up to pasty butt/inexperience but I just hatched 3 seramas less that the size of a quarter and they are doing great. the only thing I can think of is our water is softened but why would this not be affecting all my chicks? I change the littler at least 2x per week... Any help or advise would be appreciated. I did check the dead chicks and none of them had pasty butt......
Hi,
Use bottled water. Take out the electrolytes and go buy a bottle of Bovidr labs Poultry Nutri-Drench. Put it in their water for the next 2 weeks. The water should look like very weak tea. http://www.nutridrench.com Tractor Supply or your feed store should carry it. The chicks should not be huddling. If they are distress cheeping, there may be draft. They should be spread out comfortably under the light. Maybe you have drafts fron the open door and they ar ehuddling to get out of the draft and smothering the chiks on the bottom. Your pine bedding should be hardwood shavings not softwood shavings. the white bale, not the yellow bale at Tractor Supply. When you open the bale, it should smell like fresh dry cut wood, not turpentine. Also , check your bulb. It must not be Teflon coated, as those bulbs outgas carbon monoxcide which kills birds of any age. Personally, I am going with a draft problem from the open door. And the chicks piling to get out of the draft and smothering those on the bottom.
Best,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom