Week old call with leg starting to twist

mustangsaguaro

Songster
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
San Martin, Ca
I have a week old call and noticed one of its legs is starting to turn inward. What can i do to stop this. They are getting niacin in there food but not sure if Im giving enough or to much. I am sprinkling the brewers yeast on there feed and mixing it in. I have a total of 10 ducks, 7 cayugas and 3 calls. With that many ducks how much niacin should they be getting per day per duck.

Thanks

Storey's Guide recommends, for ducklings showing signs of deficiency, 100 to 150 mg of niacin per gallon of water.

From this point, though, it gets fuzzy. How much water to ducklings actually drink? I don't know, it will depend on the size and age of the duckling, the weather, activity level, etc.

I do think that more of what's in the food gets ingested.

islandfeed dot com writes that 2 to 3 cups of brewer's yeast per ten pounds of feed would be their recommendation for supplementing chick starter for ducklings.

Also, I think I have read that thiamine is also needed for leg health (among other things). So, do you have poultry vitamins-electrolytes-probiotics? I think giving them some in their water once a week would be a good idea in any case.

Swim time - supervised closely - is a good exercise that takes weight off the leg and improves circulation, so I would be sure the ducklings get time in the water daily. It doesn't take long for ducklings to poop out, so be careful.

Back
Top Bottom