Week old chick: Sleeping and very lethargic/slow! Please help!

KaitlynChick55

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 23, 2011
Calumet, UP of MI
I got an americauna week old chick 4 days ago with a group of 6 other chicks. one died the same day we brought it home from unknown causes. this one has been fine until today. i noticed it sleeping, alot. (but sleeping standing, so at first she looks fine) she is really slow. when i move her, like on her side, she does nothing to try to get back up, just lays there. she has clean water and chick feed, and seems to be breathing fine as far as i can tell. a heat light as well, so they have heat when they get too cold and have room to move away to cool down incase they get warm. i have no idea why she is like this. please help, i don't want to lose another chick!
sad.png

You may need to give her a pick me up...such as sav a chick which is electrolytes/vitamins that you mix in their water and it's made especially for chicks. If you don't have any, a tbsp of sugar in a quart of water...slowly dripped on her beak with an eyedropper might just help.

i have the same problem unfortunately one chick died and then anotherone started doing the same today so i will try the water with sugar.

If you have problems with more than one chick, try treating them with Corid. It is for coccidiosis and chicks can have a problem with this even if they have never been on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom