week old chicks outside in coop?

spades42

In the Brooder
May 9, 2015
Wilmington NC
Hello I have just acquired 4 one week old chicks, I currently have them outside in a coop with a run. I'm located in SE North Carolina where the daytime temps are in the 90's and nights in the mid to high 70's. They are about 7 other chickens in that same coop with the little ones that do not bother the little ones. The big ones are about 5 weeks old. My question/concern is if the outside temps are okay for the little ones. They all sleep together in the corner of the run underneath the coop at night which I believe will keep the week old ones warm enough. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
I just figured it out. FOUR one-week old chicks. At that age it would be safer to provide some artificial heat at night. Ninety during the day is plenty warm enough not to need heat. But I would rig up a heating pad over a wire frame (the kind that doesn't automatically turn itself off) and keep it available to them until you see them no longer sleeping under or on top of it.

See the thread on "Mama-heting pad in the Brooder" thread on this forum.

70 is too cold for the 1 week chicks. If they are lethargic or huddling they will need more warmth. Chicks also like to have some light for the ability to eat something during the night if they wish. They really need to be away from drafts and especially to stay dry. If they aren't passing away they probably can manage to an extent in the lower temps but they are surely not as active as if they were in in a 95 degree environment 24/7.

I would like to challenge the notion that chicks need light to eat during the night. The heating pad method closely simulates a broody hen, and she certainly doesn't plug herself into an electric socket to provide light for the chicks to dine at night.

In fact, those of us who have just finished raising a batch of chicks under this heating pad system report much calmer and tamer chicks, and more confident and advanced as far as integrating with the flock and putting themselves into the coop and even roosting at a much younger age.

Bright light 24/7 is considered torture to humans. I believe it's torture for baby chicks, too. Having a dark period from early on sets up a natural day/night rhythm in their bodies, and this is probably the reason why they're much calmer and less skittish, than light-raised chicks.

Back
Top Bottom