Week Old RI Red Barely Responsive

I suspect she does have coccidiosis. However, if she is not drinking,she is probably dehydrated. Dehydration can kill her just as quickly as coccidiosis will. If you can get some Corid ASAP, you can give her the Corid water a drop at a time and hope for the best. Are you able to go to the feed store this morning?

We are on our way now---Im going ot get some yogurt as well. Fingers crossed.

While we were just wakling to the door I heard a TON of noise coming from her box, when I went she is trying to walk/fly but is stumbling. Greatly disorineted and cant keep her weight on her feet. Her beck is open and she appears to be in great distress.

It will not hurt to treat the rest of your babies for coccidiosis. If your want to introduce probiotics to your chicks, look for some in the chicken section of medications. They will benefit your chicks much more than yogurt.

Thank you so much for all your help. Poor thing has me worried a ton. Just went to feedstore and the chicken expert there gave me treatment for my ladies. He said with how bad Lucy was that the chance of her survival was really low and that I shouldn't get my hopes up though

an antiobtic, I took her in and he said most likely resportiary infection she wasnt showing "signs of cocci" his reasoning was that cocci sythoms usually dont attack so fast, that you would have seen gradual decline not quick. I am new to this, I sadly am just having to rely on people to help me help her. Its a pretty miserable feeling really. I am getting her to take liquids okay but she has no desire to eat, even mush or yogurt. Should I be giving her vitams like people recommend while I give her medicated water or not?

So I wanted to update about Lucy my sicken Rhode Island red----might not have been my brightest idea but after night two and the crushingrealization she wasn't going to make it we out her back in with e flock for the night. The guy at feed store told me we would have to treat whole flock and with her being so needy and frail I thought the other chicks could keep her warm better than me for night. The other chicks actuall would peck her awake and encourage her to drink treated water. She struggled for two weeks after that but I am proud to say has just about caught up with her fellow chicks. She is finally putting weight on and appears happy and thriving. After a little tlc and lots of hopeshe has pulled through.

Back
Top Bottom