weight on butcher cockerels

Mrs. K

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Nov 12, 2009
western South Dakota
I ordered straight run leghorns, and have 7 cockerels that will be culled. They are about 12 weeks now, and in a bachelor pen. Pretty lean. Been on chick starter and some wheat scratch. Allowed to free range up to now, but now I think I will keep them confined.

So any ideas on how to fatten these boys up a bit?

Mrs K

hmmm, AArt says sixteen weeks. But I agree that layer birds make better casseroles than fried chicken.

What are your age goals?
I'd have started the corn at 8 weeks, with the plan to cull at 12 and maybe let it slide as far at 14..

And for CX, start 2-3 weeks earlier than that. 6 weeks, with a plan to cull at 9.

I have done several of the CX and they make a beautiful table bird, and muliple meals for two.

But this year, I was rejuvenating my layer flock, and to get some assorted leghorns I had to order 25 straight run. Sold half, but 7 remaining roosters. I was, am hoping for a new flock master out those, so left them with the flock to learn some manners and watch them. I left one with the layer flock, a real piece of eye candy just to see how he progresses.

Tension really started rising, and I pulled 6 to the bachelor pad two days ago, which is really the first time I have handled them in quite a while. Much different than the cx haha.

Well, I may just start harvesting them over the next 2-3 weeks. I will up the grain as I work through them. July 2 they were 12 weeks old.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom