Lowest-ranked hen being starved

Ah, there are no plastic ratproof feeders. Gotta be metal. Curious though, screw in type? Are you talking about the PVC elbow feeder type or companies that sell the "port" and you supply the bucket? Those aren't ratproof either. Rats can and do jump dozens of times their body length.

Export is expensive. If it is from the U.S. the export documentation is a pain, usually a trip to a state chamber of commerce at the very least for an export declaration. The few we have done use one of the package forwarding services and yeah, $$$$$$. You have the U.S. domestic shipping to get it to their address then the cost of export shipping and the documents needed. And getting past the crocodiles at Customs is another discussion.

I want to thank EVERYONE who has replied! I'm using all of the ideas mentioned, with good results. Her comb is becoming red & she's not hunched over. I guess she'll always be the 'bottom' hen, but I can now keep her healthy. She does have a buddy, the 2nd highest hen, so that helps as long as #2 gets all SHE wants! I've had chickens for about 3 years now, and keep on learning - thanks to all of you and this informative, helpful website.

Ah, there are no plastic ratproof feeders. Gotta be metal. Curious though, screw in type? Are you talking about the PVC elbow feeder type or companies that sell the "port" and you supply the bucket? Those aren't ratproof either. Rats can and do jump dozens of times their body length.

Export is expensive. If it is from the U.S. the export documentation is a pain, usually a trip to a state chamber of commerce at the very least for an export declaration. The few we have done use one of the package forwarding services and yeah, $$$$$$. You have the U.S. domestic shipping to get it to their address then the cost of export shipping and the documents needed. And getting past the crocodiles at Customs is another discussion.
Yes, I was thinking of getting the ports for buckets. We don't have rats, just some mice now & then, & I put poison pellets in inaccessible places. My main reason for the buckets is to allow us to leave for a couple of days without needing to feed the flock. It's hard to find a 'chicken sitter', but the dog sitter could just check water... As for export, I found a service that will get it here for just about double the cost of the item, which is better...If anyone is coming here for vacation/digital nomads, I'd be happy to meet and treat for lunch and maybe a visit to my place, to see what it's like to live in the 'real' Costa Rica', not just the tourist areas....

Look, the "ports" for the buckets are just glorified PVC elbows so save a ton of money and just make your own instead of importing something. You will find plenty of articles/threads where people have done their own using PVC elbows. They are not mice proof but you can't beat the price if you are on a budget and understand that wild birds, mice, and eventually rats will colonize your coop for many of those that have to work on a budget. Not everyone, some people never have to deal with rats.

So try your local hardware/construction supply store. There are tons of reasons why these aren't anywhere close to being a good feeder but sometimes good enough will work for a while.

If you have access to commercial grower feed for meat chickens, and can feed it to that hen only for a short time, I would think it would help her put weight on.

You can also cast the feed out over the lawn. This keeps them scattered and hunting. The hungry hen can peck away from the others. I used to do this with my sheep.

I'm saying fill the plate, but also scatter.

Back
Top Bottom