Weird bump on hen's toes. What is it?

KlinoClucks

Songster
Mar 27, 2019
Hey BYC, I have a hen who has this huge bump in between her toes. I have another hen with the same problem. I took a look and found something that looks black (like a clog of dirt) wedged into this strange covering of skin. I've removed it a few times, but it keeps coming back. Now, the skin is starting to turn black. Also, another hen's feet is very swollen on the bottom (perhaps it's bumblefoot?). I will try send some photos soon. Any advice would be much appreciated.

The bump between the toes is most likely debris (mostly poop and dirt :tongue ) buildup. I check my girls whose webbing tends to accumulate crud and just push against the top to get the crud to pop out. Sometimes I’ve got to scrape at it gently to get most of it out. I’ve never had bumble foot (knocks on wood - I don’t need any more chicken heath issues!:barnie).

Sorry for only replying now!
Whew, I'm glad to hear that it doesn't sound too serious. I started popping it out (thanks for the tip!) and applying some oils etc. to the toes. They seemed to be getting better but didn't get round to doing her feet the last while. It seems like it's coming back? Here's some photos...

IMG_1324.PNG

Back
Top Bottom