Weird Chick development

Drewnkat

Songster
11 Years
Mar 27, 2008
Georgia
Today I candled my batch of eggs in preparation for lockdown tomorrow. Found a couple clears I missed, so that was disappointing.

I also found one that upon candling had the "blood ring" look, the air cell end was OK, but the opposite end was clear, so I figured I had a quitter.

I put it in a ziploc bag and opened it to see when it may have gone wrong.

What I found was... a feathered chick, half the expected size, alive and wiggling, BUT it appeared not to have full eye development, possibly? For what it's worth, none of my chickens are bantams, so mini-chickens are not a reasonable result to expect from incubating.

I'm not second guessing my decision to remove that one, it definitely had problems between the lack of expected growth and the eye thing.
I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced candling one, it looks like a blood ring or a quitter, but it was actually still alive (even if not growing as expected).

Today I candled my batch of eggs in preparation for lockdown tomorrow. Found a couple clears I missed, so that was disappointing.

I also found one that upon candling had the "blood ring" look, the air cell end was OK, but the opposite end was clear, so I figured I had a quitter.

I put it in a ziploc bag and opened it to see when it may have gone wrong.

What I found was... a feathered chick, half the expected size, alive and wiggling, BUT it appeared not to have full eye development, possibly? For what it's worth, none of my chickens are bantams, so mini-chickens are not a reasonable result to expect from incubating.

I'm not second guessing my decision to remove that one, it definitely had problems between the lack of expected growth and the eye thing.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced candling one, it looks like a blood ring or a quitter, but it was actually still alive (even if not growing as expected).

I had one that was obviously quitting, the veins had all receded, but the embryo was still moving, moved for quite a few hours after the veins had cleared before it totally quite.

Back
Top Bottom