weird crazy umbilical or poop thing

sane cat lady

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 9, 2013
we got new chicks today and when i was putting them in the brooder I noticed that one had a pasty butt (I think that is the real term) a little poop and some red tissue stuck to its vent and while cleaning that carefully off I noticed what I thought was (and may actually be) poop however while cleaning it I started to worry it might be it's umbilical stump, I checked the other chicks and they all had healthy tiny little pin prick sized umbilical stumps. I didn't want to hurt the chick so i put it in the brooder and figured i would ask if it was poop (clean it up) or weird umbilical stump (leave it alone)

Hi Sane Cat Lady,

From what I can see in the picture it looks like you are referring to the area where the yolk sac should have absorbed. You can see the vent clearly above that closer to the tail, which looks like a pale fold of skin. The vents are just tiny things and yes, they can have poopy but the poopy but would originate from the vent, not the belly. I would not clean that area, it is definitely the yolk sac. Most chicks with yolk sac still showing, even though it eats, drinks and runs around like the others have a higher chance of only living the first few days. I have had chicks that manage to survive but there is just a tiny hint of yolk sac, smaller than a pencil eraser. All the others survived only the first couple days. I am sorry to tell you this, but I rather that you are forewarned, just incase. It's so sad, but it happens. Now that you are aware of this if ever picking out chicks again in the future, you can flip each of them over to make sure they all look good. Most chicks when dried out just have fluffy bellies.

I hope your little chick survives. There is nothing that you can do other than wait it out.

Take care.

Back
Top Bottom