Weird dropping.

PanosGR

Songster
Oct 15, 2023
Athens, Greece.
Hello there. My 15-week-old pullet seems active, healthy, and curious, but a few minutes ago, I noticed an unusual change in her droppings. This is a new occurrence. Can you please advise if there might be a concerning issue?

Attachments

• 2023-10-29-09-08-34-804.jpg
    2023-10-29-09-08-34-804.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 2023-10-29-09-21-06-196.jpg
    2023-10-29-09-21-06-196.jpg
    461.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 2023-10-29-09-24-11-124.jpg
    2023-10-29-09-24-11-124.jpg
    801.6 KB · Views: 12
What the pictures show is mainly urates. Chickens don't have seperate systems for excreting urine and solids. What's missing is solids.
I would start by checking the pullets crop and monitoring her intake of food and water.
Check her crop in the morning; it should feel empty and flat. In the evening once she's gone to roost, it should be bulging and feel full.
If her crop isn't a lot less full in the morning it's possible she has a partial blockage which is only allowing liquids to pass through.
Sometimes, if the weather has been hot a chicken may produce waste similar to that in your picture.

What the pictures show is mainly urates. Chickens don't have seperate systems for excreting urine and solids. What's missing is solids.
I would start by checking the pullets crop and monitoring her intake of food and water.
Check her crop in the morning; it should feel empty and flat. In the evening once she's gone to roost, it should be bulging and feel full.
If her crop isn't a lot less full in the morning it's possible she has a partial blockage which is only allowing liquids to pass through.
Sometimes, if the weather has been hot a chicken may produce waste similar to that in your picture.
Her crop was empty but now it has started filling up with food and other stuff she finds in the soil.
I will observe her for her next droppings and will let you know. By the way if that was the case, should she poop normal feces in the next 1-2 hours?

Her crop was empty but now it has started filling up with food and other stuff she finds in the soil.
I will observe her for her next droppings and will let you know. By the way if that was the case, should she poop normal feces in the next 1-2 hours?
Not necessarily. Odd/out of the normal poop can be for many reasons. Often it's a temporary glitch. One really needs to see the poop over a period of time, sometimes a day of obsevation is enough, sometimes it takes a few days.
It's when one finds consistantly poor quality droppings that may indicate a health problem.

Not necessarily. Odd/out of the normal poop can be for many reasons. Often it's a temporary glitch. One really needs to see the poop over a period of time, sometimes a day of obsevation is enough, sometimes it takes a few days.
It's when one finds consistantly poor quality droppings that may indicate a health problem.
Correct me if I am wrong but I think this is a normal one isn't it? She just did it now.

Attachments

• 2023-10-29-15-49-55-192.jpg
    2023-10-29-15-49-55-192.jpg
    476.4 KB · Views: 7
Yes looks normal. Droppings can vary each time. Cecal droppings occur after so many times.It is good to look at a series of droppings over some time. A lot of white urates may be a sign of dehydration at times.

Back
Top Bottom