Weird egg

roverjohn

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 7, 2010
KCMO
Sorry no pics but I cracked open an odd egg this morning. It looked normal on the outside but the inner membrane seemed very thick. Also, there was no egg 'white', just a large yolk that was a little more brown than yellow. Anyone ever seen anything like this? I'm not going to worry about it unless it becomes a pattern it was just kind of odd. For everyone's info the egg was no more than two days old and I don't have a roo so no chance of fertilization.

TIA,John

The difference between the eggs you buy and the ones you raise yourself is that the commercial eggs have been checked to remove most oddities before packaging them. As you grow your own you're going to find "weird" things happen in the process of going down the hen's oviduct that you'll never see in the store--odd shaped shells, lack of a shell, blood and meat spots, micro cracks, missing yolks and/or whites, or off-colored yolks. This has little to do with whether the egg is fertilized or not--the process isn't perfect is all. Nonetheless, these "weird" eggs are ok to eat--if it bothers you, use the egg for baking.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

I've eaten some pretty odd ones - Including eggs without a shell, and they tasted just fine.

Quote:
Very well said Woodmort! Lets not forget the pleasant surprises of double and the all so rare triple yokes!
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
When the girls were just getting started we generally had a double yolk about every other day. One day the egg was just ginormous!! Sure enough a triple yolker! My 9 year-old had fun frying it up for himself. The thing was huge - poor girl - not certain how she got it out.

Back
Top Bottom