Weird growth on hatchling

Berlena

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 7, 2010
Near Disneyland!
Number 11 seems to have a weird growth on it's rump. Looks a fleshy ball. The other chicks are pecking at it. It's toes look a little extra crimped. Is this gonna be a cull?

035116c3.jpg

Just leave him for about a day. When this happens I make sure to leave it be. Some of the time they will live, but every now and then they don't. So just leave him be for a while.

Granted - Im super ridiculously new to quail - but it almost looks like a bowel prolapse or something...if others aren't leaving it alone I imagine it will die soon. But I dunno!

Quote:
IT LOOKS LIKE HE DIDNT FINISH ABSORBING THE YOLK SAC FULLY... THE YOLK YES, BUT THE UMBILICAL AREA STILL LOOKS PROLAPSED... OFETN TIMES LEADS TO UMBILICAL INFECTION. ALL YOU CAN DO IS WAIT AND SEE, AND HOPE...

That is where the yolk didn't absorb correctly, if the others are picking on it, you will need to separate it. sometimes they make it and sometimes they dont'.

I usually set them aside from the others so they won't peck it. It didn't absorb the yolk properly. Sometimes they will make it. I have one from the last hatch that was even worse than it. He made it though so there is hope.
smile.png

thumbsup.gif
Incompletely absorbed yolk sack. Frequently becomes infected and kills the chick, but upon occassion they do survive.

Quote:
Oh well there's already tiny blood spots on the floor.
sad.png

I moved the other two into the brooder. It's by itself in the hatcher til another hatches.

I had 1 that was dragging the yolk sack behind itself a few weeks back. Unfortunately it did not make it. Hopefully you have better luck.

Back
Top Bottom