weird mite things!?

Chickenlover0810

Songster
Sep 5, 2019
Michigan
i have a buff orpington who i think is egg bound, we were planning on culling her soon, this mornig during chores she never went into the coop she was jsut laying under the ramp and i noticed that there was these wierd tiny litlle bugs all over her, they didnt look like the mites we had before they almost looked more like fruit fly's. any advice what they might be????
i will upload pics

marm5.jpeg
marm6.jpeg
marm 2.jpeg
marm 3.jpeg
marm4.jpeg

Attachments

• marm1.jpeg
    marm1.jpeg
    490.8 KB · Views: 2
i have a buff orpington who i think is egg bound, we were planning on culling her soon, this mornig during chores she never went into the coop she was jsut laying under the ramp and i noticed that there was these wierd tiny litlle bugs all over her, they didnt look like the mites we had before they almost looked more like fruit fly's. any advice what they might be????
i will upload pics
If you think she’s egg bound, why don’t you try to help her instead of culling her? :idunno
She does have parasites.

First...I am not a vet at all but.....

I would treat her for mites/lice immediately. Permethrin 10 is what I would use. I would do a full clean out of the coop and spray it too. Then every flock member needs treated as well. If one has bugs more are likely to as well.
Repeat the entire process every 7-10 days for at least 3 treatments.

Poor girls comb is not a great color. She may have an underlying condition that made her weakened allowing the (looks like lice to me) to infest her.

I advocate for every chicken keeper possessing a magnifying lens. In this case, it would answer your question as to whether the chicken has mites or lice or if they might just be tiny beetles harmlessly hanging around on the chicken.

Mites and lice have eight legs. Beetles and insects have six. Either way, poultry dusting powder with permethrin is safe for chickens and will take care of any bug riding around on your chickens.

Back
Top Bottom