weird smell in my coop, visited by???

mediazeal

Songster
10 Years
Feb 26, 2009
Ok, I know you are all laughing now
the weird smell is not poop

I let the kids out last night when I got home from work for a little R&R around the yard. You would think it was Disneyland the way they charge out of the coop/pen

When I went to close it up just as it was getting dark, the dogs charged off the deck to the coop area and barked up a storm.
We have squirrels, possum, cats, skunks (I've only smelled them), raccoons (though I have never seen raccoons in my backyard).
Whatever it was ran off
When I went into the coop (door was propped open) to count the girls, everyone was fine, but I smelled a musky wild animal smell INSIDE the coop. I have a broody hen, she was fine and on the nest.
I got a rake and raked around in the bedding (cough, cough) and didn't find anyone hiding
everyone was still alive this morning

thinking about getting a game cam to see what's around
creepy

What kind of visitor do you think I had?

Last edited:
I had a mink get into my coop one time and it left a terrible musky odor. If you have any small holes anywhere in your coop close them up! If that's what it is it will be back yo kill every chicken you have.

Last edited:
We once had a skunk in our coop it sprayed its stuff everywhere, it was horrible. but what you might talking about is possibly urine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Foxes have a musky smell sometimes it almost like a skunk.
I am sure there are many critters that can put off a musky smell but i don't have them around here.
Some snakes put off an odor when threatened ,such as chicken snakes and water moccasins .

Weasels and minks smell gross and you can often tell they've visited
sickbyc.gif

sounds like it could be any of the possum, skunk, raccoon or even neighborhood cats
I've decided it is behind the coop, not in it
smelled it again this afternoon so it is strong, not passing
chickens are in a coop of hardware cloth on a cement pad, so far very secure
still creepy
big_smile.png

I have been told that fox leave a musty scent whenever they make a kill, last year whenever one of my hens whent missing we could step out side and smell the odor that a fox gives off you won't forget it

Quote:
Add badger , weasel, marten, fisher, and wolverine to the list of stinkers. It will depend upon where you are.

I'm in Sacramento
the raccoons come up at night from the rivers through the drains
I smell skunk often
see a wild turkey every now and then
there might be some of those other critters down at the river but never see them up in the neighborhood
not impossible, but unlikely

Back
Top Bottom