Weird ? - what would make a package of sausage blow up?

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
We normally buy all our meat from a local grass fed/range fed farmer. Last time we purchased meat from them they were out of pork breakfast sausage, so I bought a roll of Jimmy Dean sausage at the grocery store.

The package had an expiration date of 10/11. About four days before that date I decided we wouldn't be using it by then, so I froze it. A couple days later I noticed that the package was getting larger, had alot of air in it. Now it's still frozen solid, but getting bigger all the time.

I don't trust it and want to toss it out, but DH is very frugal and doesn't like to waste food. It's the weirdest thing I have ever seen food-wise.

What would make the package blow up like a balloon? I'm thinking bacteria.

That's really wierd! I mean, you would think that bacteria couldn't grow in freezing temps......I would definitely NOT eat it! Think of what it might do to your stomach!
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
I would definitely get rid of it fast!

BTW, I'm wondering about the grass fed farmer. Times are getting tough, but I hope folks aren't down to grass.
wink.png
gig.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist.

That's what I'm thinking, I don't wanna touch it let alone eat it.
hide.gif

Yes Wynette, it's growing in the freezer.

Quote:
I would definitely get rid of it fast!

BTW, I'm wondering about the grass fed farmer. Times are getting tough, but I hope folks aren't down to grass.
wink.png
gig.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist.

lol.png

Tell ya what, best meat I've ever eaten.

This will probably be the only time that I ever disagree with Keith. Toss the sausage - not worth taking chances.

Most likely it was caused by moisture content in the sausage. Processed packaged meats have alot of water added to them so they get more money for less meat. Kinda like the ham you see that says ham and water product.

Back
Top Bottom