Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

My injured chicken looked bright eyed and active today, so I let her out of her crate to see what would happen. The dang cockerel immediately went after her feet first, pinned her and immediately started viciously pecking her wound. I got him off her, and put her back in the crate. I’ll give her more time before I let her out again. If he attacks her next time I let her out, into solitary confinement he goes. I’m probably giving him too many chances, but he’s so pretty, and I really want to hatch my own eggs this year.

His behavior does make me wonder, though, if he did that damage in the first place, or if he attacked her because she’s injured and has been confined? She’s in the coop, so ifs not like she has disappeared and reappeared...

My injured chicken looked bright eyed and active today, so I let her out of her crate to see what would happen. The dang cockerel immediately went after her feet first, pinned her and immediately started viciously pecking her wound. I got him off her, and put her back in the crate. I’ll give her more time before I let her out again. If he attacks her next time I let her out, into solitary confinement he goes. I’m probably giving him too many chances, but he’s so pretty, and I really want to hatch my own eggs this year.

His behavior does make me wonder, though, if he did that damage in the first place, or if he attacked her because she’s injured and has been confined? She’s in the coop, so ifs not like she has disappeared and reappeared...
Ugh. Sometimes they're so naughty!!
I had a Buff Orp who would finally come out of raising a bunch of chicks and get nearly gang-raped by my cockerels. None of my other broodies ever drew attention like that girl. :rolleyes:

Huh...

Very odd.

I think, pretty or not... that male should be eaten.

That is my opinion also that or lock him alone till he learns.
That is unaceptable from him at all my foot would have stopped him.

Huh...

Very odd.

I think, pretty or not... that male should be eaten.
I hear ya. My dilemma is, he’s the only male I have, and I really want to have fertile eggs for my hens this summer, rather than have to buy them. If he were being a turd to more than just this one, it would be much easier to lop off his head. It may come to that anyway if he can’t behave himself with her.
That is my opinion also that or lock him alone till he learns.
That is unaceptable from him at all my foot would have stopped him.
My foot did stop him. It launched him across the pen. Kind of a lift and fling action.

Thats funny Smudge my blue marans rooster got rough once when he was younger found BF's foot in his bottom as he was feeding them..
Took a little banty EE from my main coop she was laying in corner.. Took her to my banty coop, they all lay on the floor :lau

Good morning! Rainy day in the forecast - which we need. Apparently CA broke it's old "least rainfall in February" record this year. Hopefully March makes up for it!

Hatching my Silverudd's this season and they are doing terrible. They've always been difficult (malpos, goldilocks w humidity), but this year is worse. I initially used 4 different sources for my bird parents and I don't breed brothers and sisters, but now I'm wondering if I need to infuse some new blood or if the whole lot of them are just too interbred? Frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom