Well, First batch of Bobwhite eggs went into Lockdown this morning...

Well, that wasn't the thing to do, next time if that ever happens I will leave it be. I opened the Incubator to save the chick and when I raised the screen to get the little guy out about 5 to 6 of them ran under the screen and into the water troughs and as I was trying to get those out even more ran under. One even drowned in the process. I took them all out and put them in the Brooder. I did have another one hatch a few minutes ago so I don't think I hurt the hatching process, but I could have lost a lot of chicks over the one.

LOL, glad it worked out, I assumed the one under the screen was the only one hatched,

I would have waited till they were dry and grabbed them all out, sorry.

The good news is all babies are doing fine in the Brooder minus the one that drowned trying to save the other chick and although the Incubator Temp dropped to 89.5 while I was getting all of the chicks out of the incubator, 10 more chicks have hatched. There's only like... Make that 11 Chicks have hatched and there are only 8 more unhatched Eggs left.

That's pretty darn good!

I'm not exactly sure how many I set, probably 80 or so, all but 8 eggs have hatched so far and 15 chicks have hatched since the incident this morning. I'm going to leave those 15 in the Incubator until morning and if those 8 haven't hatched by morning then I will toss em.

I have another 120 Eggs ready to go so I'll put those in the Incubator in the morning and wait out another 23 days, hehe

So this morning 5 more had hatched and I pulled the plug on the other 4 that didn't hatch. I think I should have allowed them to incubate longer but felt they weren't going to hatch and made the decision, although I'm second guessing my actions now.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the hatch. I had placed 90ish Eggs on Lockdown and all but 4 + the one that drowned made it.

Back
Top Bottom