Well I do know how to introduce a hen to a flock.. but how do I introduce her to a Rooster

badboyk1n9

Chirping
Apr 21, 2021
Well I do know the presets to introduce a hen to a flock.. but a rooster which lives with his flock.. basically my question is how can I introduce my hen to him so that he dosnt kill her down... Usally he starts to chase the hen.. will he stop after 5 minutes or so and add her to the flock or will he kill my hen?

:welcome :wee:ya:yesss: Hello and welcome to BYC, You found an Amazing Poultry Community to be a part of with many great knowledgeable members, who are more then willing to jump in and help you along your journey with any questions you may have. :)

Are you SURE you have a hen and not a young Cockerel? Then I could see a chase taking place. Any pictures to post? Best of luck. :)

Welcome.

How old is you’re hen? How big is you’re rooster? How many hens fo you have?
Please take a photo of her and you’re flock.

He might be trying to mate with her. Have you left her in there for long enough to see? Take a stick with you to hit the rooster with if he's actually attacking her though just in case he doesn't stop.
This doesn't sound as the advice of an angel IMHo.
Better to separate the hen for a few weeks for two reasons.
1 quarantine.
2 look and see, get familiar without touching.

Welcome.

1 quarantine.
Sorry. I assumed that they've already separated them. And I didn't mean beat him to death. Just enough to get him off her :confused:.

Welcome.

1 quarantine.
Well around 3 hens and a rooster this girl is new and rooster just chases tho I have not left her long enough to see... But rooster surely looked aggresive..

Well around 3 hens and a rooster this girl is new and rooster just chases tho I have not left her long enough to see... But rooster surely looked aggresive..
I think this says you have 3 females and one male and you are trying to add a fourth female. To me the numbers are irrelevant but I would like to know the age of the new girl and the boy. Is the new girl laying? Maturity could have a lot to do with it.

If both the boy and the girl are mature, the typical way a rooster adds a new hen to his flock it to mate with her. She may squat for him or she may run away and he chases her to force her. As long as they mate and no one is hurt all is good. It doesn't matter if there are 2 hens in his current flock or 20, he will meet the new girl the same way. It's possible to get a hen that will not accept the rooster as the flock master, even if both are mature. That may be due to the hen having a very strong personality or the rooster having a weak personality. Sometimes this can get violent so you need to watch.

If the boy is an immature cockerel he may not have the strength of personality to impress a mature hen. She might fight him but from what I've seen most of the time she runs away from him. He might chase her and not catch her or he may catch her and force her. If she is the immature one a good rooster should not try to force an immature pullet to mate but not all roosters are good. If both the boy and girl are immature about anything can happen.

There is also the possibility that a rooster may see a new chicken as an intruder, even if she is a hen. While "most" mature roosters welcome a mature hen to their flock most does not mean all. Some take their duty to protect the flock to mean no strange chickens are welcome. Maybe there is something about that hen that he doesn't trust. Or, as someone mentioned, are you sure this is a girl and not a boy?

I don't know what is going in with yours. Even if I knew their ages I would not be sure. Usually I let them work these things out by themselves as long as no one gets hurt. That means you do need to observe to be ready to intervene if you need to. The more room you have the better your chances of them working it out with no one getting hurt.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom