Well, there was SOMETHING in the nest box....

Beverrlly

Chirping
Dec 6, 2008
Elgin, IL
I eagerly peeked in the chicken coop like I do everyday waiting for that first egg and I there was definitely something in the nest box---Our barn cat snuggled in the deep bedding, nice and warm and fast asleep while the hens were roosting around him! I guess I don't have to worry too much about the cat being a threat to the chickens!

You won't have to worry about rodents getting your eggs either!
lau.gif

and
welcome-byc.gif

I have 5 rabbits in the same pen I have my 3 chickens and nearly every day I find one of the rabbits laying in the egg/nest box. They all get along fine and I often times find an egg kept nice and warm underneath the rabbit...lol.

I have ten cats. It's not unusual for one to get closed in with the birds at night. They never bother them, once they get at least pigeon size. Tiny chicks, they probably would, but not once they get a little size to them. The cats hang out at the coop and hunt mice.

You all must have some pretty tame cats!
smile.png

Our pulletts are 3 months old and bigger than pigeons, but our cat still stalks them from outside their run! He is nutered, but given the chance he would bring home deer..... I'm just waiting for the day that one of the pulletts pecks him and he backs off. PLease tell me that will be soon because I'm tired of hunting him down and sticking him in the hose while they free range in the pm.......

Alex

Our cats are terrified of our chickens. The chickens free-range every day, and everybody hangs out in the yard together. Whenever there's a question over who has dibs on a treat, the chicken always wins. A cat doesn't stand a chance against a full-grown chicken.

Back
Top Bottom