Well they have Arrived Home!!!!!

MarkRainbolt

Songster
Apr 30, 2022
Saint James Missouri
The wife and I drove to Cackle Hatchery this morning to pick up our chicks. We ordered 9 females and 1 male White Rocks. We get there and they also had Easter Eggers so I got 3 of them as well. But to my surprise they gave us 1 extra of each breed. Cackle hatchery is TOP NOTCH in my book!!!! They all are so friendly and pleasant to speak with.
Sincerely,
Mark
A03B86C4-95A1-4D82-8743-7027D29463D6.jpeg

They are all soooooo cute!!! So happy that you could go and get them yourself. We have had to have our shipped from California to Ohio but the Mallards I wanted arrived just fine from Metzer 3 years ago. Enjoy your little ones.

Hi Mark

Im always curious to know the answer to this question from new keepers who get one breed (or intend to get one - I understand bringing home the EE's as well - you wouldn't be a real chicken keeper if you DIDNT bring home more chicks than intended)

Anyway, why the white rocks? What stood out about them?

Hi Mark

Im always curious to know the answer to this question from new keepers who get one breed (or intend to get one - I understand bringing home the EE's as well - you wouldn't be a real chicken keeper if you DIDNT bring home more chicks than intended)

Anyway, why the white rocks? What stood out about them?
Large brown egg layers, 250 to 280 eggs a year. Plus they are docile, and they remind me of the chickens my Grandma had. I have had chickens for about 25 years always RIR or Barr Rocks.
Mark

Large brown egg layers, 250 to 280 eggs a year. Plus they are docile, and they remind me of the chickens my Grandma had. I have had chickens for about 25 years always RIR or Barr Rocks.
Mark
Ah ha. Got it. Not a newbie at all.

I saw someone who had a flock of barnvelders, and thought "you don't see many flocks of single breeds, so I wonder what drew that person to that one breed"

They were able to share some interesting facts about the breed that I wouldn't have known otherwise. So I am always curious about single (or would have been in this case) breed flocks.

Anyway - you've definitely got a hearty, good producing flock - and one of the oldest recognized American chicken breeds around. Developed in the mid to late 19th century. A real classic!

Ah ha. Got it. Not a newbie at all.

I saw someone who had a flock of barnvelders, and thought "you don't see many flocks of single breeds, so I wonder what drew that person to that one breed"

They were able to share some interesting facts about the breed that I wouldn't have known otherwise. So I am always curious about single (or would have been in this case) breed flocks.

Anyway - you've definitely got a hearty, good producing flock - and one of the oldest recognized American chicken breeds around. Developed in the mid to late 19th century. A real classic!
The one thing that I forgot to mention BastyPutt is that I have noticed over the years is that I don’t seem to have a problem with fighting over the pecking order. I do believe that it’s because they are all the same breed. Now I may have a problem this go around because of the 4 Easter egger’s. But time will tell.
Mark

Back
Top Bottom