Welsh Harlequin Ducks What luck have you had with them

pirtykitty

Songster
11 Years
Dec 8, 2008
Waco, Texas
I am thinking about getting some welsh harlequin ducks in spring.. My husband thinks a 5 lb duck is too big... but I don't think so.. How well do they lay eggs. Do they fly... or will I need to clip wings.. have heard they are dumb which doesn't make since because ducks are smart.. what are your experiences with them.. thank you for help
chrisitine
Oh would also like some australian spotted ducks and a few overberg miniature ducks if anyone has had them..

Thank you for explaining this! I realize I am resurrecting an old thread, but I have 6 female WH and 1 male coming from Metzer farms on the 23rd. I had read they were on the critical list, but did not understand how that was possible when you can just order them, but the limited gene pool makes total sense! They will be my very first ducks- and I don't have chickens... so I'm as green as you can get. :) Hopefully the Harlequins will be a good breed to start with, I hear they are pretty calm.

I don't have Welsh Harlequins, but I can give some advice.

A 5 pound duck is not that big. My Khaki Campbells run 4 to 4 1/2, but my Cayuga has got to be at least 7 pounds.

As for Harlequins being stupid...I doubt it.

I do believe Mallards are the only duck that can fly really well. None of my other ducks have had their wings clipped because they can only get about 3 feet off the ground.

I love my Welsh Harlequin, I think she may be the smartest of my five ducks. She notices everything before the others do, and is very curious. Of my three hens she is usually the first to check on what I'm doing in the garden, (I'm guessing to see if I've dug up any worms.)

As far as egg laying, she went into a big molt right after I brought her home last August and also landed at the bottom of the pecking order, so she seemed pretty stressed for a while. She was the last to start laying but once she did she kept pace with my Khaki Campbell until the temperatures dipped way down almost two weeks ago. Another odd thing is she is much smaller than my Campbell, she may be small for her breed and my Campbell may be large, and that extra weight might make the difference in how much energy a hen can put into producing eggs. Holderread claims that Welsh Harlequins can do as well as Campbells at egg production.

She can't fly at all, but I only have a WH hen, drakes might be a little better in this department, but probably not enough to need wing clipping.

And she is so pretty! I hope you decide to get a breeding pair as they are on the critical list!
thumbsup.gif

I love my Welsh Harlequins. I have a trio of them and they are great. They can not fly. The ducks are so sweet and so is the male...they will grow broody but not very often...They are a little noisier than my Cayugas but are still are an awesome duck...I really love the colors of the males...

I love my Welsh Harlequins!

They have been great layers. They aren't really that large, but neither are their brains. I don't think WH are dumb, but they are poultry.:lol:There are lots of other critters on the farm with more smarts.

They are beautiful birds that lay like crazy.The culls are the perfect size for 3 at dinner or 2 with lots of leftovers.

I'd go for it if I were you, but I'm kinda biased

Thank you everyone for answering so far... I hope to get ducklings later in the spring.. they said they have both gold and silver and if I request it they will send both. I would like a pair of golds and a pair of silvers... also would like some of the australian spotted and possibly some miniature overbergs.
When do the welsh harlequins start laying and for how long???? and what kind of duck food are they given??? for breeding and laying..

Ducks reach point of lay around 20-25 weeks old. I don't know about Harlequins in particular, but a lot of times ducks will stop laying in the beginning of winter but will start up again towards end of winter/beginning of spring.

My WH started laying at around 25 weeks. I have about ten that started laying in mid Oct and are still laying daily. I don't add light.

I read somewhere that they were bred from Campbells, so I used info on Campbells to guide my decisions. Should lay close to daily until moult.

When they are laying I feed Mazuri waterfowl breeder and Purina Layena and rolled oats equal parts. I start my birds on Mazuri waterfowl starter then Mazuri maintenance and oats when they are older. When they start laying I add the layena to the breeder ration make it more affordable.

I grow greens collards and mustard in the cooler months just for my ducks.Sweetpotato greens in the summer.Plus, whatever they find in the yard.Feed bill goes down in the late spring and summer when there is lots of goodies in the yard.

Back
Top Bottom