Welsh Harlequins

4hchickmama

Songster
7 Years
May 12, 2012
I'm hoping someone could give me some good, solid information on Welsh Harlequin ducks. I have tried researching myself, but can't find a reliable source. A lot of the information I am getting seems to be from hatcheries as well. Is there someplace to look for more information about the breed and what the standards are for it? The ducks referred to as Welsh Harlequins even seem to vary in appearance from page to page. Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

I did quite a bit of research before I bought my Welsh Harlequins a few months ago. I think one of the most respected sources on ducks is Dave Holderread, who owns the Holderread Waterfowl Center. Yes, it is a hatchery and you can buy ducks from him (I did), but he is also incredibly well respected by waterfowl people. He wrote the book "Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks", and if you get it you will see it has very good information on WH's. His website also has some very good information. There is also another thread here under ducks that is devoted to WH ducks.

I hope this has been some help to you.

It really has. I saw his page and wondered. I will check out the other thread. Thank you!

Did you end up buying yours locally or from a hatchery or a breeder? I'd like a trio or breeding pair but I'm unsure if I want adults, juveniles, ducklings, or hatching eggs. They aren't common in my area so I think I would easily sell off or rehome any I didn't want or need. They just seem to have a lot of things going for them that would work for us.

I bought mine from Holderread's and am pleased with them. If you plan to show or breed for sale, invest in the Top Show Quality birds. If not, his production quality are nice and good for laying, but not always colored properly. (neck not fully colored, colors not well developed - This is common, as even the best breeders have culls in every hatch)

Back
Top Bottom