Welsummer Breeder in Colorado?

chickenlady1150

In the Brooder
Sep 26, 2015
Colorado
Does anyone know where I may find a Welsummer breeder here in Colorado?

I live in western Colorado and will be looking to purchase about a dozen new Welsummer chicks in the spring of 2016. I would like to buy them in Colorado if possible but can't find a breeder. I've been searching the web and am getting quite discouraged at not being able to find them. I did find a few hatcheries but they require that you purchase a minimum of 25 and a straight run. I don't want a straight run as I don't want roos and at $5-$6 a pop I can't justify giving them away. I can't keep them as my neighbors would not happy with that, and we don't eat meat at all so putting them in my freezer is not an option. The other issue is that my coop is only big enough to accommodate 12 large birds at one time so I really can't purchase 25. I have been searching for a while now and I keep hitting a brick wall...
he.gif

I bought my first flock of hens 3.5 yrs ago at Murdoch's and they had Welly's but I only bought 1 because I hadn't heard of them and wasn't sure she would work out or not. I also bought 4 Buff Orp's and 5 EE's. Of all the birds my favorite is the Welly and I really wished I had bought 5 of them instead of the 4 buffs. Her name is Betty Boop and she is not only beautiful but she has the best personality and lays AMAZING EGGS!!! She is the protector and is always the last to go to bed and the one that lets the others know when there's cause for concern. She also adores my 4yr old grandson!! The only weird thing is that she is obsessed with my feet. Not anyone else's, just mine... lol. Every morning when I let them out she pecks at my feet and puffs herself up. I just holler "HEY!!" and she chatters at me and then goes to eating her scratch or veg scraps that I've thrown out. I don't get it but it's a whatever I guess... Sorry for he digression.

Anyway, it's time to let this flock go to my cousin since we have to break down the coop and move it to facilitate the removal of a dead tree in the back yard but I want to replace the flock next spring. I would like to have all Welly's if possible so I hope someone can help me find a breeder in Colorado...

Any help would be greatly appreciated
wink.png

I got mine from noco feeder supply in fort collins. They get their chicks from privett in NM. I think murdochs does as well. One hen lays spotted eggs which is a fault but I love her eggs. I would just go with them. Your coop can easily accommodate 25-50 chicks. Order the 12 you want and round out the order with a nice assortment of layers. Sell the extras on CL at 8-20 weeks. You should be able to get $15-20 each. It will pay for your birds.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Percheron Chick!!
highfive.gif

Good to know. I did find out yesterday afternoon that our local co-op can special order sexed chicks of any breed for me also so I may do that if I can. I'll also call Murdoch's and see what they can do for me.

Back
Top Bottom