Welsummer odd egg color

amberlkuntz

Chirping
Jul 8, 2022
I have some Welsummer hens (they will be a year old the end of this month) and one of the 9 lays this odd light colored egg. She has always laid this color of egg. The eggs also always have a rougher texture especially on the smaller end of them. All the other hens lay a dark colored egg (as seen in pictures). The eggs this hen lays that are light are also smaller. They are generally in the small - medium scale while the others are usually in the medium to large size. She did have 2 eggs this week that were thin shelled and one of the other hens broke them when they stepped on them getting into the nesting box. So I added a laying hen vitamin to their water on Tuesday hoping it would help. Today she laid this egg which was definitely stronger. I feed them their egg shells and they have all the oyster shell they could want (although they generally won't eat them and would prefer their egg shells I put out there). She isn't sick, acts completely normal. Is there something more that I could be doing to help her - I imagine it isn't fun to lay a rough egg every time.

Attachments

• 20230413_135543.jpg
    20230413_135543.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 20230413_135556.jpg
    20230413_135556.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 21
Those honestly look like calcium deposits to me (which means she could be getting too much calcium), but that would be strang as you said she had some soft shelled eggs. I will wait fke the more knowledgeable members to chime in.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the color. I have lots of Welsummers, and some lay the dark chocolaty brown, while others lay a very light speckled egg. Kinda just ranges from one chicken to the other, and it also depends on the quality of the chicken.

My best wishes!

Those honestly look like calcium deposits to me (which means she could be getting too much calcium), but that would be strang as you said she had some soft shelled eggs. I will wait fke the more knowledgeable members to chime in.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the color. I have lots of Welsummers, and some lay the dark chocolaty brown, while others lay a very light speckled egg. Kinda just ranges from one chicken to the other, and it also depends on the quality of the chicken.

My best wishes!
Thank you! I have 1 hen that lays the light color with the dark spots, the other 7 lay dark colored eggs, and then this one that lays the light colored eggs that are always rough. I thought too much calcium as well, but does seem weird that she had 2 eggs that were thin. They definitely had a egg shell to them, but it was so fragile it didn't take much to break them. She may just be an odd one. I just feel for her and wish I could help her lay some smoother eggs for once.

So I added a laying hen vitamin to their water on Tuesday hoping it would help.
What exactly was this?
What all and how exactly are you feeding the flock?

If you're getting one 'bad' egg in a flock, it's not the diet it's the bird.
She probably has a wonky shell gland, hard to 'fix'.

What exactly was this?
What all and how exactly are you feeding the flock?

If you're getting one 'bad' egg in a flock, it's not the diet it's the bird.
She probably has a wonky shell gland, hard to 'fix'.
It is called Layer Boost. It has extra vitamin D and marigold in it as well as some probiotics. I gave the girls way too many treats this winter so have backed off on them. So they get their feed (I was using Purina and am in the process of switching to Kalmbach feed). They have grit and oyster shells in separate containers and I feed them their egg shells back after we use the eggs. We had a dog attack this winter and the girls have had feather picking that started the next day so most of them wear saddles to prevent it from getting worse. Because of the dog attack and how our property sits, I don't let them free range, but have a small fence I move around so they can still get fresh greens. When we are gone we don't open that to them and give them a flock block to keep them occupied.

I didn't think about her shell gland being wonky, but that does make sense. She is the only one that lays eggs like this and has been ever since she started laying.

What are the protein and calcium percentages?
The Kalmbach that I am switching to has 17% crude protein and it says Calcium Min is 3.5% and Calcium Max is 4.5%.

The one I have been giving them since December (Purina Home Grown) has 16% crude protein and Calcium Min is 3% and Max is 4%.

The Kalmbach that I am switching to has 17% crude protein and it says Calcium Min is 3.5% and Calcium Max is 4.5%.

The one I have been giving them since December (Purina Home Grown) has 16% crude protein and Calcium Min is 3% and Max is 4%.
That sounds fine, if you avoid other foods/treats.

I didn't think about her shell gland being wonky, but that does make sense. She is the only one that lays eggs like this and has been ever since she started laying.
Likely she is just a 'lemon'.

There really are a lot of characteristics that one cannot fix. Don't hatch those eggs, give her a good life, and move on.

A lot of people worry about making their chickens perfect and really there is no such thing. There is a lot of variance in chickens and in eggs that is normal. And if it is falling out of the normal range, there is little you can do about it.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom