Welsummer possibly a cockerel?

Alexandra33

Chook Snuggler
9 Years
Apr 3, 2015
Northwest Ohio - The Buckeye State!
Never had a baby start pinking up slightly at almost 2 weeks of age....
hu.gif

The definite pullet for comparison.

It's feathering in darker than the girlie....kind of odd.

Thanks!
~Alex

Last edited:
It does look like 'she' might be a cockerel. A little bit too early to tell though. One of our chicks is a Welsummer as well (and a pullet), and she definitely doesn't have that big/pink of a comb and she's around three weeks old.
Will definitely be keeping an eye on this little little one. I know it's pretty early.
smile.png
I'm just not used to "pullets" developing so quickly.

You should know more in the next few weeks. It's legs look thicker but I'm not seeing cockeral currently, and it looks to be feathering like a pullet. Most you can tell by 4-5 weeks of age.
Absolutely!
smile.png
Your input is greatly appreciated!
thumbsup.gif

Also two of his toes (one on each foot) look bent the wrong way. Is her/his toes normally like that or is it just the pictures?
You're not seeing things, it's got crooked toes.
hu.gif
I've had a few birds with this before.
smile.png
Thanks for being kind enough to notice!

~Alex

You'll know as soon as the chest comes in. Male Welsummers have a black chest while females have a salmon chest.

Definitely looking male all around.

Put the chicks on Chick Saver or such for the B vitamins. You can even put the concentration a bit higher than package recommendation for a couple of days then lower back to standard dosage.

Sometimes it is incubating temps, sometimes genetics, often vitamin B deficiency either in the chick feed or left over from deficiency in the egg. If it is vitamin deficiency, a couple of weeks will make all the difference. If it isn't, no harm done.

LofMc

It does look like 'she' might be a cockerel. A little bit too early to tell though. One of our chicks is a Welsummer as well (and a pullet), and she definitely doesn't have that big/pink of a comb and she's around three weeks old.

You should know more in the next few weeks. It's legs look thicker but I'm not seeing cockeral currently, and it looks to be feathering like a pullet. Most you can tell by 4-5 weeks of age.

Some end up with curled toes. I read it's from improper incubation temperatures, and some say deficiency. I get an occasional chick with off toes and they do fine.

Back
Top Bottom