West Coast Grange Co-Op - Straight Runs?

Beccalovescoffee

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2023
Ok, I can't find any recent discussions and maybe...MAYBE, this will help solve my "Is this a rooster?" endless research. I really wish I'd been with my husband the day he picked out our chicks but he went while I was at work and chose not to read any signs or bin labels. Color me surprised ::sarcasm emoji here::.

Anyway. He picked out 8 various types of chicks to bring home from our local Grange Co-Op. We're in Southern Oregon. These were all standard laying breeds, (RIR, Silver Laced Wyandottes, etc). Unfortunately, those 2 are the only breeds I can truly identify and he doesn't remember what the others were, or if they were straight runs. We have 2 that I believe are black star, black maran, something similar. They're 14 weeks and still all black with black legs (no feathers on legs) and no copper showing on their chests yet. ::shrugging emoji here:: My daughter says she picked out the barred rock, there's only 1. They thought they picked 2 but there's definitely only 1. She appears to be a hen, but her color markings as a chick had us thinking she was a rooster (big yellow spot on her head). Jury is still out on that one, she hasn't developed any characteristics of a rooster but she has such a strange voice. She's quiet but she doesn't really "bawk bawk" but instead "honk honk"s like a goose. Then we have 2 who I think are production reds, not true RIR. I posted them yesterday as my suspects and they were classified as pullets here, but their long curved green tail feathers have me worried.

I recently picked up some cinnamon queen chicks from a local farm breeder and when I mentioned I was doing it to potentially replace any suspicious roo's in my flock that I got from Grange, she questioned that Grange would sell straight runs. That got me thinking.... Are the chicks at Grange Co-Op ordered from their supplier only as pullets? Assuming they were only vent-sexed I'm sure there's at least a small error ratio but so far even my rooster suspects have been deemed as pullets by the experts here at BYC.

Does anyone have experience with the spring chicks that Grange sells to know whether or not they're sold as straight or intended as pullets only?

I'm driving myself crazy over here.

Thanks in advance!

Pictures?
Hi. You actually reviewed some of my photos yesterday on another post and are one of the aforementioned "experts" who thinks my suspects look "pullety". I have TONS of pictures but I think I'm more leaning towards someone who knows or has experience buying laying breeds from Grange in our area that could help me know what they sell their runs as.

Hi. You actually reviewed some of my photos yesterday on another post and are one of the aforementioned "experts" who thinks my suspects look "pullety". I have TONS of pictures but I think I'm more leaning towards someone who knows or has experience buying laying breeds from Grange in our area that could help me know what they sell their runs as.
Ah, ok. I'm sorry. I forget. You can call and ask what hatchery, that will help you decipher if the breeds as most hatcheries have a bird identifier

Hi. You actually reviewed some of my photos yesterday on another post and are one of the aforementioned "experts" who thinks my suspects look "pullety". I have TONS of pictures
Here are a few photos. They’re all 14 weeks now.

Attachments

• IMG_3002.jpeg
    IMG_3002.jpeg
    813 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2996.jpeg
    IMG_2996.jpeg
    797.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2998.jpeg
    IMG_2998.jpeg
    310.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3007.jpeg
    IMG_3007.jpeg