West of England pigeon-need advice

like bio said, gently pinch his lower beak and then he will open up. Place the pill as far back as you can and then close his beak. Her will swallow.
same affect as what? The 4-1? No, it wont. It may help with external parasites, but not internal.
Ok.....thanks. I will worm tomorrow. This answers my question. I just didn’t want to overdo it.

I suspected coccidiosis or worms. More likely worms.

I had a worm outbreak once. It was terrible. Birds couldn't fly and were dying. I treated the worms by giving 2 cc of Ivermectin per gallon of water. Yes, it's a cattle and swine injectable. I wouldn't recommend it unless it worked. And it did. Keep it out of the sun, as it loses its beneficial qualities. Don't do more than 2 cc.

Do you give anything through their water? I like giving This to my birds. As well as probiotics for them. Do these once a week. I also add Apple cider vinegar to their water once a day. I do a tablespoon per gallon. this is just to keep them healthy. It won't get your bird better.

Do they have grit?

I hope this helps.
I will worm in the morning 👍

I want to give an update on Domino and thank you all for the advice. He’s doing fabulous! So much so, that he and his lady friend Bandi are sitting on eggs high up in the loft💕. Thanks so much!
F9B3536F-C510-428E-9880-1685A1929FFD.jpeg

It is nice to get the update, thanks!
A few days ago I experienced my first biting gnat attack for this year. These bites are just awful for me, extreme itching, swelling, even pain. They usually bite me around the hairline and I read they are attracted by CO2. A BYC member had trouble with these critters attacking their pigeons last year. If I remember right, the symptoms were itching, weakness and perhaps a few died. These critters are blood feeders and in sufficient numbers may cause anemia like fleas on a kitten. Anyhow, it's something to look out for if we see itching in our birds this year.

You are now owing us another update when Domino and Bandi's babies hatch. LOL

I rescued a beautiful boy 3 years ago after he was found in a backyard very weak. He’s been happy and healthy in an outdoor aviary with other pigeons and a few chickens that are healthy as well. He has been itching his face and has some feather loss on his head and face, but I can see new feathers growing in. He is also weak and not flying around. He just walks around and can jump up into the coop, but not his usual self.....not dancing for his lady friends. I inspected him for mites and lice, but do not see anything. I treated him anyway with a QTip dab of ivermectin to back of his neck 3 days ago but he’s still itching. Today I put some DE on his skin in hopes that might help. He’s eating and drinking fine. Poops look normal too. Any ideas? I’ve grown so fond of this little guy I just want him to feel better.View attachment 2102118
Hi, just a thought, three years is a long time in one area for a pigeon, maybe he has a mineral deficiency, something that cannot be found in your aviary ? When I kept racing pigeons I would regularly place blocks of red and black minerals in the loft and they would be devoured within 24 hours. Same with leafy vegetables such as Kale, in the wild pigeons eat this all the time. My pigeons were always fed on the most expensive mixtures of food available, but if I neglected the mineral blocks and veg they would soon start ranging the local fields looking for whatever was missing from their diet.

Hi, just a thought, three years is a long time in one area for a pigeon, maybe he has a mineral deficiency, something that cannot be found in your aviary ? When I kept racing pigeons I would regularly place blocks of red and black minerals in the loft and they would be devoured within 24 hours. Same with leafy vegetables such as Kale, in the wild pigeons eat this all the time. My pigeons were always fed on the most expensive mixtures of food available, but if I neglected the mineral blocks and veg they would soon start ranging the local fields looking for whatever was missing from their diet.
:goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom