Wet and Dry Fowl Pox - Graphic Pictures of Pus and Scabs

Pics
Its not from fighting. Fowl pox has been running through my flock for the last 4 weeks. I have lost 2 that had both the wet and dry pox. These are the last two that have become infected.

Its not from fighting. Fowl pox has been running through my flock for the last 4 weeks. I have lost 2 that had both the wet and dry pox. These are the last two that have become infected.

I think the previous poster was referring to post #412, a couple pages back.
Your birds definitely have a bad case of fowl pox. As far as the wet pox goes, you can attempt to remove lesions in the mouth and swab with iodine. There will be blood and the possibility of a hole where the lesion was removed. Keep in mind that the lesions can be located in the esophagus, larynx and lungs. There's no way to treat or remove those lesions and birds die from starvation because they cant swallow feed.
Eyes are infected due to the nodule irritation around the eyes and the bird scratches the nodule and it becomes infected with ecoli and/or staph bacterial infections.

Last edited:
far to many pages to read through. i have some bird that i think might have pox and i have a few quick questions.

1: are the birds safe to eat when the pox has been survived?

2: are they safe to eat during pox infection? (just for my own wondering)

3: are the eggs safe to eat during pox infection?

4: are eggs safe to eat after the pox has been survived?

5: are the eggs of an infected bird OK to hatch or is there a risk to the chick to get pox?

6: if i use the pox vaccination do i only need to do it once per a birds life or does it need to be done on a cycle?

i Bought the chicken health and sickness book but i dont know when i will get it in the mail.

far to many pages to read through. i have some bird that i think might have pox and i have a few quick questions.

1: are the birds safe to eat when the pox has been survived?

2: are they safe to eat during pox infection? (just for my own wondering)

3: are the eggs safe to eat during pox infection?

4: are eggs safe to eat after the pox has been survived?

5: are the eggs of an infected bird OK to hatch or is there a risk to the chick to get pox?

6: if i use the pox vaccination do i only need to do it once per a birds life or does it need to be done on a cycle?

i Bought the chicken health and sickness book but i dont know when i will get it in the mail.

Fowl pox is not transmitted/transferable to humans: Yes to 1-4.
5. Hatched chicks are at risk of getting fowl pox.
6. I've never vaccinated for anything including fowl pox but have had it go through my flock. Once it passes through the flock, birds are
immune to that particular strain. The vaccinations are only effective for certain strains and ineffective against others. Yes, you will have to
revaccinate. Here's some helpful links for you to read:

http://youthexhibitionpoultry.org/Edu_Material/VACCINATING FOR FOWL POX.pdf
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vm021
In this link, scroll down to Fowl Pox:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps030

I vaccinated the birds that did not show signs of fowl pox and I am still dealing with 2 sick birds in quarantine for fowl pox.

I have a friend that wants to rehome her 6 hens because she has retired and wants to travel. The hens are 2 years old.

My questions:
1. Since I am having fowl pox issues, should I vaccinate them for fowl pox? She isn't sure if they were vaccinated. She is not in a hurry for them to be moved. I can vaccinate at her house and wait a few weeks before moving them if needed.
2. Can their eggs be eaten after the vaccination or is their a withdrawl period for eggs?
3. Once I have them home, I will quarantine for 30 days. My currents birds are pullets between 14-18 weeks. How soon after the 30 day quarantine should I try to introduce them to my pullets? Or should I always keep them separate since they have already established their own pecking order?

I vaccinated the birds that did not show signs of fowl pox and I am still dealing with 2 sick birds in quarantine for fowl pox.

I have a friend that wants to rehome her 6 hens because she has retired and wants to travel. The hens are 2 years old.

My questions:
1. Since I am having fowl pox issues, should I vaccinate them for fowl pox? She isn't sure if they were vaccinated. She is not in a hurry for them to be moved. I can vaccinate at her house and wait a few weeks before moving them if needed.
2. Can their eggs be eaten after the vaccination or is their a withdrawl period for eggs?
3. Once I have them home, I will quarantine for 30 days. My currents birds are pullets between 14-18 weeks. How soon after the 30 day quarantine should I try to introduce them to my pullets? Or should I always keep them separate since they have already established their own pecking order?

Sorry. I wouldnt allow your friends birds anywhere near my property....quarantine or not regardless of the fowl pox issue.

Baytril is something you'd have to order online... As for force feeding, doing it with a tube is the safest way.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

Supplies needed:
  • Size 18 french catheter tube (vet or medical supply store)
  • 30ml or larger catheter tip syringe (vet, medical supply store or Tractor Supply)
  • Kaytee Baby Bird Food (Petsmart or Petco)

If you can't find a the catheter tube, you can use 16" of aquarium air line, but will have to modify the end with a lighter to make it smooth enough for her crop and esophagus. If you decide to use air line I don't think the catheter tip syringe will fit, so you would nee a regular luer instead. Here are the different types of syringe tips:

-Kathy

What do you do with the Baytril ?

I am using betadine and triple antibiotic. So far not down her throat. But am scared it will go there. she is under a red warm lamp, Should I give her baytirl now ???

Back
Top Bottom