Wet and Dry Fowl Pox - Graphic Pictures of Pus and Scabs

Pics

I have a very sick girl and she just keeps getting worse

@Traci54 Welcome to BYC. Can you take her to a vet? Can you see her eyes? Do you want to learn how to tube feed?

-Kathy

@Traci54 Welcome to BYC. Can you take her to a vet? Can you see her eyes? Do you want to learn how to tube feed?

-Kathy
Kathy there is not a vet for chickens here. I gave her some egg yoke this am, she could see yesterday but now both eyes are crusted over. I have been using vet ex and antibiotics. May go get some homeopathics today

-Kathy
Kathy there is not a vet for chickens here. I gave her some egg yoke this am, she could see yesterday but now both eyes are crusted over. I have been using vet ex and antibiotics. May go get some homeopathics today

If she's not drinking you will need to get fluids into her, which is why I mentioned tube feeding. Let me know if you want to learn.

-Kathy

I put betadine on each of the lesions used a q tip then put newsporin on each lesion kept her warm and gave her baytril liquid 3 mls

Hen #6

This hen's warts are different than the others as they appear to have pus in them and they were not drying out, so off they came.

Before removal.

Inside of mouth before pus removal.

Pus removed from roof of mouth.

After removal of scabs/growths and application of iodine

This side still needs more work.

After removal of pus/plaque and application of iodine.

De-worming orally with Safeguard liquid (fenbendazole 10%)

Various pics of scabs and pus.

I know this is an old post and I cannot read all the pages - but how did you pull the pus out? my lakenvelder 3 months old chicken got pus in the corner of the mouth. I am afraid I might do something wrong and spread it out. this pus is just an inside part of the outside scab (which is huge). is it possible to remove it at all?

Last edited:
So I almost read all the posts on this thread. So much good information. I wish I would have read it before. I guess I have been having the flow pox over and over. I have lost so many. :( but hopefully it will be better now. I have it again, it's usually the little ones. I am on a budget but they are important. I'm planning on getting them vaccinated but I already have a few sick.

This is #1
She is still eating well and drinking. I have them all on duramycin - 10.

This is #2

This one is not eating as much and looks sad, in corners.

I have a few more that I know are sick but these two are the ones with the signs.
Should I vaccinate them all anyways? They are about 6 to 8 weeks old.
I also ordered some more chicks, they get here in late January. Should I order two vaccinations or wait till they get here to vaccinate all.

Back
Top Bottom