Wet Feather, and a Fluffy Under Belly?

Chelt Cluckers

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 18, 2015
Hi,

New to owning ducks. I recently purchased a Khaki Campbell, due to the weather she was a bit mucky when I picked her up but thought nothing of it. Her tail feathers were missing and the feathers there seems raggy and split. Feather quality has improved but still no sign of tail feathers after 3 weeks.

I was told she was 6 months old and I believe from research she has wet feather, as ever time she has access to deepish water she is soaked through after. I clean her and dry her off as I’ve seen suggested, but doesn’t seem to make much difference as. She does preen when dried off and happy enough.

What I have noticed is she has very little feathers on her under belly and most seem to be fluffy like a duckling, and get mucky. She preens this area but no new feather growth at all, just fluffy feathers, and bold bits.

Could this be she hasn’t moulted well, or another issue with preen gland etc???

I’ve attached pictures of her belly, and tail.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2927.jpeg
    IMG_2927.jpeg
    643.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2925.jpeg
    IMG_2925.jpeg
    563.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2857.jpeg
    IMG_2857.jpeg
    638.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2824.jpeg
    IMG_2824.jpeg
    244.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
have you checked her oil gland
majestic waterfowl sanctuary has a great article about wetfeather and oil gland problems. Scroll down to Oil Gland

http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/mmissue71.htm

to me she looks older than six months also possible could be parasites although ducks don’t get them as often as chickens it’s still possible you may want to inspect as close as you can for mites

have you checked her oil gland
majestic waterfowl sanctuary has a great article about wetfeather and oil gland problems. Scroll down to Oil Gland

http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/mmissue71.htm

to me she looks older than six months also possible could be parasites although ducks don’t get them as often as chickens it’s still possible you may want to inspect as close as you can for mites
She is very fluffy down there and not easy to see, but I’ve just checked the gland and it’s wet around it, and when I rub my fingers down clear liquid appeared on my fingers. Can’t see any lice on her either.

Attachments

• IMG_2929.jpeg
    IMG_2929.jpeg
    819.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2931.jpeg
    IMG_2931.jpeg
    734.3 KB · Views: 8
I tagged her so she will see your thread when she comes on
Many thanks. I’ve had a quick read up, due to the ducks feather quality, ones that are there are quiet split and dry, lack of feathers on belly, I do wonder if it is lice on the feathers.

Would Diatomaceous Earth be best? I use this on our chickens and always has cleared anything up.

DE hurts their lungs and eyes. Permethrin is recommended for chickens and i have used it for chickens but haven’t tried to use it on ducks (yet) let’s tag
@Wyorp Rock
@Eggcessive @aart @azygous
too
they know alot about parasite treatment

there is also a spray i have called manna pro poultry protector, that you can spray on them, but I think it’s more of a preventive measure.

In the meantime, please don’t use the diatomaceous earth just wait until we hear from anyone that I tagged

Back
Top Bottom