Wet shavings

lyndatu

Songster
12 Years
Nov 13, 2007
A VERY little part of the wood shavings got wet because a tiny drop of water fell on it. What will happen to the shavings? Will it be unusable, or will dry and continue to be usable?

Are the shavings in with baby chicks, under a heat lamp, outside in an unheated coop with adult birds?...I think we need a little more info...
cool.png

Lyndatu,
My coop is an old dilapidated homemade shed that has the occasional leak on one end.

After a very hard rain, if I see a spot where the shavings are moist, I grab a rake and a few handfuls of corn, throw the corn about the floor and quickly rake some shavings to cover the corn...all while the chickens are watching.

Then I immediately get out of their way and they begin scratching like mad, mixing and turning all of the shavings. The moist spot disappears quickly and the dry dusty shavings are none the worse.

If you think aboout it, the shavings see moisture from droppings so I wouldn't worry about a few drops of water...they will do their job.

Good luck!
PC

If it's just a small patch of wetness, I usually just scoop it out with a dust pan and throw some more dry shavings down. But that's just me, b/c I'm paranoid of moisture and what can grow in the dampness.

Back
Top Bottom