Wet stomach on ducklings, is it a worry?

I just have a gravity waterer, chick sized, so no drowning risks. i have four and they all like to go in circles drinking in it and flicking water all over each other, I keep the water and food catcher as dry as I can, but ducklings lol.

okay, thank you! They have some enrichment like pipes (I think pvc? The white ones) that get nice and warm, like a basking rock. The wet ones will sit on or in it and preen, by the time they’re up again, they’re dry and ready to star the cycle. Nobody seems chilled and huddled!
As long as they are drying up properly it's fine I guess. We would love pictures of them.

After the first week ducklings do better without a chick waterer. They just can't help themselves and will make a very messy brooder otherwise. Most of us switch to a plastic container filled with water and holes cut in the top (or side) which are only big enough for their heads.
Personally, I give mine swimming water early. We start with a pie pan when they are two days old and move up a little each day. By a week old, they have swimming water all day (I keep an eye on them). I do lock them in at night. Funny thing is, the brooder stays drier this way. The water stimulates their oil glands so they also get water proof fast. A mother duck would have them on a pond at an early age. Here is a video of some of my past ducklings playing.

As long as they are drying up properly it's fine I guess. We would love pictures of them.
Much to their displeasure, I check the wettest ones and gently ruffle them so I’m sure they’ll get dry! I will include photos :) they just got done grooming up after a meal :)
3A1C2BEB-E33E-429B-A78B-79EA86E53D00.jpeg

After the first week ducklings do better without a chick waterer. They just can't help themselves and will make a very messy brooder otherwise. Most of us switch to a plastic container filled with water and holes cut in the top (or side) which are only big enough for their heads.
Personally, I give mine swimming water early. We start with a pie pan when they are two days old and move up a little each day. By a week old, they have swimming water all day (I keep an eye on them). I do lock them in at night. Funny thing is, the brooder stays drier this way. The water stimulates their oil glands so they also get water proof fast. A mother duck would have them on a pond at an early age. Here is a video of some of my past ducklings playing.
I also let my ducklings swim from a few days old -- just for a few minutes each day in a washing up bowl. I love your video, but I wouldn't leave my ducklings with water to swim in all day -- just when I am with them. They can waterlog and drown very quickly without Mamma to tell them to get out of the water

I also let my ducklings swim from a few days old -- just for a few minutes each day in a washing up bowl. I love your video, but I wouldn't leave my ducklings with water to swim in all day -- just when I am with them. They can waterlog and drown very quickly without Mamma to tell them to get out of the water
I don’t leave them. I am a high school teacher and they are in the front of the room with 24 students and I keeping an eye on them. I have done this with several hatches of ducklings and never had a problem. It is very easy to get out of my set-up. I am guessing that not being able to easily get out is more the problem when they get water logged.

Make a couple of these that way they can’t wet their bedding and soak themselves. You can put them on a broiler pan with a pee pad under to protect their feet. View attachment 3038889
I wanted to but my parents aren’t a fan, since we already have a waterer
I found some mesh, though, small enough no toes should get caught.I’m going to futz around with it to get it on top of the catch dish!

I love the pipe play area -- I must copy that next time I have tiny fluffies.
They love it! It’s nice and warm for them. i think enrichment is super crucial. They’d be doing so much with mom, why not give them stuff to do with me?

… all of this to defend what their updated set up looks like.

the hanging shirt strip toy is only in there when I’m actively watching them :)

Attachments

• D1F15F0B-DEEE-4DF9-87D0-61266D47D10A.jpeg
    D1F15F0B-DEEE-4DF9-87D0-61266D47D10A.jpeg
    670.7 KB · Views: 3
They love it! It’s nice and warm for them. i think enrichment is super crucial. They’d be doing so much with mom, why not give them stuff to do with me?

… all of this to defend what their updated set up looks like.

the hanging shirt strip toy is only in there when I’m actively watching them :)
You put my enrichment to shame. I have a few parrot toys -- duckling enjoyed dropping that off my desk for a short while; a mirror that entertained for only 4 hours before the clever duck realised that it wasn't a real duck in the mirror; a few plastic tops of juice and milk bottles - picked up and thrown around. The best entertainment was the 4 microsoft squares key on my laptop -- my little rescued duckling was determined to get those squares off the key!!

My son raises day old ducklings and they basically entertain themselves with their water and food. in contrast, your set up is just wonderful

Back
Top Bottom