Wewt! Lotsa new babies!!!!!!

DragonEggs

Songster
9 Years
May 11, 2010
Borger, TX
I set my first load in my incubator a few weeks ago, 2 dozen eggs. Cochins, Jersey Giants, Silkies and Seramas. ALL the serama eggs hatched (11), 4 of the 5 silkies, the 4 cochin eggs but none of the JG. So now I have 19 babies running arond in a kiddie pool in my living room. On top of that 2 of my hens went broody just a few days after I set the eggs in the bator and their eggs hatched last night, so I took a few of the smaller seramas from my recent hatch and stuck them under a momma lst night. Went out this morning to check on them and they are DEFINITLY HERS no! No taking them back! Not even getting close to them! They were sisters from the same hatch and went broody one right after the other and this is their first time, so it really surprised me how good they were!

So now, all together, I believe I have about 24 babies scattered about either in my living room (too cold for the brooder outside, even a little chilly inside so I put a heating banket in there too just to be sure) or out in the coop.

I AM wondering the best way to make sure the babies stay safe. The birds are all in a pen with a closed roof but the chicks are so tiny they could slip out of the welded wire if they wanted.

Also, should I lower the ramp to the coop to make sure the babies can get in and out?

Don't you just love chickies?!
love.gif
For the babies that are outside, I would put up some sort of barrier (like hardware cloth or a even tarp or blanket from the bottom of the coop to about 1 1/2' in hight so they can't get through. I would think you would only need this for about a week or two, then they should be getting big enough that they won't fit easily.

On top of that 2 of my hens went broody just a few days after I set the eggs in the bator and their eggs hatched last night, so I took a few of the smaller seramas from my recent hatch and stuck them under a momma lst night. Went out this morning to check on them and they are DEFINITLY HERS no! No taking them back! Not even getting close to them!

yuckyuck.gif

Don't you love it when chickens do that? Great moms are good to have!​

Here is a pic of the sister mommas and one of their adopted chicks. They are sharing so well, just not with me!

57215_2.jpg

Here is my favorite chick from the brood I have inside. Hes silkie, but no tellin which is his momma or daddy. I can only guess that this came out of my only splash hen.

57215_6.jpg

57215_5.jpg

The pic with the sister mommas and the chick peeking out between them is the most precious I've ever seen!

I'm building a new coop right now that will house future broodies. I can hardly wait to start raising little families, too!

Back
Top Bottom