What’s on my roosters’ combs??

rmanney

In the Brooder
Feb 19, 2023
Weatherford, OK
My roosters have black spots on their combs, and now they have some white. They’ve been vaccinated. Could it be from mites? Or fungus? Some of the black spots will scratch off, but the roo did not like me messing with them. Any suggestions on doctoring, care, and prevention? Thanks, friends!

View attachment 3410132
6EA458D1-51C8-4C45-B3EE-22E7D328B58F.jpeg

View attachment 3410133View attachment 3410135

Attachments

• FFC8DEC2-89A6-4A87-9908-62C93F7C2FFA.jpeg
    FFC8DEC2-89A6-4A87-9908-62C93F7C2FFA.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 5
Fowlpox is a slow-spreading, viral disease that affects birds of all ages. It causes white speckles that soon develope into wart-like nodules and then form dark scabs on birds' combs and wattles. This is not very common but is a possibility. A more likely possibility is fleas. Did you check for fleas? Do any other poultry in your flock have speckles

Fowlpox is a slow-spreading, viral disease that affects birds of all ages. It causes white speckles that soon develope into wart-like nodules and then form dark scabs on birds' combs and wattles. This is not very common but is a possibility. A more likely possibility is fleas. Did you check for fleas? Do any other poultry in your flock have speckles
Just this one bird has the white spots. The other looks more like a white dusting. The black spots were first, then the white showed up. I didn’t see fleas when I was checking under the feathers, but I wasn’t looking specifically for them. Just kinda checking to see if anything looked off. My hens have a few black spots on their combs, but they look different, so I think they’re just scabs from getting pecked and bit while mounted. They free range so much that they are hard to catch to check! 😅

It’s probably not 😅 it was just a thought, and there’s no treatment u would just cull the affected. I suspect it’s peck wounds or fleas though sorry to worry you.
No, people do not cull chickens with fowl pox. It is a virus that lasts about a month, and most grown chickens recovered in 3-4 weeks. The wet form of fowl pox which causes yellow plaques inside the beak and airway is more dangerous.

No, people do not cull chickens with fowl pox. It is a virus that lasts about a month, and most grown chickens recovered in 3-4 weeks. The wet form of fowl pox which causes yellow plaques inside the beak and airway is more dangerous.
Oh? My cousin who raises chickens and quail said that.. he said that there’s no cure for fowl pox? Sorry

It’s probably not 😅 it was just a thought, and there’s no treatment u would just cull the affected. I suspect it’s peck wounds or fleas though sorry to worry you.
The more I’ve researched, the less likely I think it is! So let’s talk flea treatment. I try to keep DE in their dust bath area but in the winter, I have a hard time remembering while I’m cooped up myself avoiding the cold. I read that wood ash is good, too. I gave the coop a good cleaning and sprinkled both in the coop. Dust the birds, too? I feel like the black could be some peck wounds. I just culled an aggressive roo, and a teenage roo, and still have two more to 24 hens. There were some fights over the girls.

The more I’ve researched, the less likely I think it is! So let’s talk flea treatment. I try to keep DE in their dust bath area but in the winter, I have a hard time remembering while I’m cooped up myself avoiding the cold. I read that wood ash is good, too. I gave the coop a good cleaning and sprinkled both in the coop. Dust the birds, too? I feel like the black could be some peck wounds. I just culled an aggressive roo, and a teenage roo, and still have two more to 24 hens. There were some fights over the girls.
You can buy mite&flea poultry spray @ tractor supply. And I use wood ash +sand as a dust bath

Back
Top Bottom